Same ole printer spooler problem

americamba

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200625104003.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5020U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 419 GB (201 GB Free); D: 24 GB (24 GB Free); E: 419 GB (219 GB Free); F: 24 GB (24 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO Lenovo Edge 15, ver SDK0J40709 WIN, s/n R90JCJP6
System: Lenovo, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n R90JCJP6R9N0B5C1500T
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Like Don Quixote, I will make you governor of an "insula" if you solve this! I print and nothing happens but the job
just sits there (where? in the printer or in PC?) I try all the troubleshooting instructions of windows 10 and of HP but the problem persists. I am stuck with a new LaseJet Pro M404dn and can't print anything. your help will be appreciated.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To confirm, is it staying in the print queue?

Turn off printer, now uninstall driver/software package, then reboot. Now go to HP website and download a new copy of driver/software package. Install the software.....then when it tells you to plug in USB cable, just turn on printer and the let it finish installing. This should solve your issue.

I don't know why but the HP software becomes corrupt for what ever reason. I had the same issue with my old HP 5610v. Once windows 10 cam out and HP re did the driver/software for 10 the corruption issue stopped. At least for me it did.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How did you install the printer? I know some (if not all) of the M4 series have an autoinstall option that will install from the setup that is within the printer.

edit: This option was discontinued... probably because it was a bad idea and hardly worked...

I see that you have mentioned that you have tried the Printer troubleshooter. Can you print a test page?

Last edited:

americamba

Turn off printer, now uninstall driver/software package, then reboot. Now go to HP website and download a new copy of driver/software package. Install the software.....then when it tells you to plug in USB cable, just turn on printer and the let it finish installing. This should solve your issue.

I don't know why but the HP software becomes corrupt for what ever reason. I had the same issue with my old HP 5610v. Once windows 10 cam out and HP re did the driver/software for 10 the corruption issue stopped. At least for me it did.
Thanks for trying to help. Now with all respect, I h
I posted the direct link to the fix. :giggle:
If you have 64bit version of Windows then it’s the first entry on the page.
you said:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/windows-message-center
Scroll down to: Out-of-band update for an issue in which certain printers may be unable to print after installing updates released June

Then I went to "out of band "etc as you say and do not find any usable link then

Female. Funny. Gemini.

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
And to add, can you do a print test from the print queue?

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To try and help you further
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/windows-message-center
Scroll down to: Out-of-band update for an issue in which certain printers may be unable to print after installing updates released June
2. as my colleague has said, you go to that link
when you do so you see this
Out-of-band update for an issue in which certain printers may be unable to print after installing updates released June
An out-of-band optional update is now available on the Microsoft Update Catalog to address a known issue in which certain printers may be unable to print after installing updates released June 9, 2020.

We recommend you only install this optional update if you are affected by this issue. For more information, see the known issues section for your version of Windows 10 or see the links below.
3. You scroll down to your version of windows and click the link to that version
so lets say you went to this one

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4567512/windows-10-update-kb4567512
It lists the item mentioned
Updates an issue that might prevent certain printers from printing, generate print errors, or cause apps and print spoolers to close unexpectedly.

4. so you then check on installed updates if you have that update and if not you download it from that link - by clicking the
link to the Microsoft Update catalogue

5. WE KNOW you have version Build 18363
but we do not know which sub version you will find that in settings - system and then about on left pane.
The full version will be shown in the main window

6. That deals with the aspect of the problem being caused by the update to the newer version of windows.

7. The other possible problem is the driver for the printer
You go here
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m404-m405-series/19203833/model/19202536
configure it for windows 10 64 bit and then with the printer disconnected
YOU uninstall all HP drivers or printer software packages and then download the one shown here on the link above
HP LaserJet Pro M404/M405dn/M404/M405n/M404m Printer Full Software Solution
following the installation instructions

Note: Do not connect the USB cable until prompted by the installer. If you are connecting to a network, make sure the network cable is connected before running the installer

• Close any software programs running on your computer.
  • Turn on the printer.
  • Click on the Download button on this page.
  • Click the downloaded file. The files will be extracted and the installation process will automatically start.
  • Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed with and complete the installation.
To install at a later date, select Save on step 4 and select a location on your hard disk. When ready to install, locate and double-click the file. This will automatically extract and start the installation process. Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed with the installation.
8. If that does not solve it, then you are back to other problems

9. IF YOU are still using Avast as your AV, then disable AVAST whilst uninstalling and installing the printer driver and indeed the windows update fix for the problem

10. FINALLY on your earlier topic where you asked for advice re Defender and Avast
Here
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-defender-antivirus.1247694/

A colleague has noticed a point I missed. I advised that Windows Defender - now known as Windows Security (Defender) would be disabled if you had Avast installed, What I failed to ask was and my colleague noticed it, WHY is Avast not shown on our system information utility
It maybe a glitch in our system info utility, but YOU need to return to the topic and have the issue addressed.
Basically the question is - IS AVAST turned on.

11.As ON this topic here, where you are reading this our information utility shows
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200625104003.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5020U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 419 GB (201 GB Free); D: 24 GB (24 GB Free); E: 419 GB (219 GB Free); F: 24 GB (24 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO Lenovo Edge 15, ver SDK0J40709 WIN, s/n R90JCJP6
System: Lenovo, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n R90JCJP6R9N0B5C1500T
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

and both of your topics are the same computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online