Same ole printer spooler problem

americamba

Can you post any error message &/or code which may be show?
the printerspooler properties are set on automatic. I put in printer again and was told to print test page. I tried but it didn't print but stayed in the queue. The message was: your printer is in error state.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Unfortunately I am out of options other than removing the printer, uninstalling the software & drivers then setting it all up again.

americamba

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4565483/windows-10-update-kb4565483
includes the update to correct the possible printer problem
The reason I asked the full version was that the original out of band update - available only via the update catalogue applied to
However I do not think that is the problem.

americamba
It is I am sure better if you work with just one person, so I will leave you with my colleague Goddess-Bastet
To enable you to simply post one reply, instead of trying to answer both of our queries
Good luck
Please put up with me again. your colleague, The Goddess, didn't have enough divine strength to help me. She eventually gave up. I would really appreciate starting from scratch with you and you alone. I don't know how I got into two experts; I never did that before. I hope you can can accept me. I usually donate to techguy but this time I will go beyond my usual amount. The service is so great and you volunteer experts deserve our thanks.

SO, THE PROBLEM IS THE SAME. PRINT JOBS STUCK IN THE QUEUE.

Thanks, Frank

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To save me reading the whole topic again and opening attachments
1. Does the computer have Avast as the security system - AntiVirus and Firewall
OR is Windows Security Centre Defender and Windows Firewall in use.

2. If it is Avast is it the paid for edition or the free edition

americamba

I have (paid) avast premium which has to be renewed in 2 days. Is it worth it? Is Windows defender enough? I was advised several years ago by a TG expert to use ccleaner. Your opinion? Thanks for giving me another chance. I appreciate how you tried to help but I bolloxed everything up.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I have (paid) avast premium which has to be renewed in 2 days. Is it worth it? Is Windows defender enough?
I would advise you not to renew and to use the included Defender. On 10 that is now part of Windows Security and its overriding benefits are
It is free
It is 100 compatible with Windows 10 - 100% of the time.
There was at various times many suggestions that Windows Defender offered less protection than many other antivirus products. This stemmed mainly from a comment by a Micorsoft spokesperson who stated in interview, that it was a baseline antivirus. This was interpreted by many that it provided ONLY a BASIC protection.
The statement was never meant the way it was taken - it was intended to convey that Windows defender provided a baseline that should be the minimum ever met for protection.
NOT that windows defender was itself only a basic product

In many recent reviews it has scored highly.
Many third party AV programs work well when first installed. However without doubt, many and I do not single out Avast, then prove troublesome in some way, asfter windows updates especially it appears after version updates and even after some security updates.

As previously mentioned Windows Security Centre and all of its allied parts including the active protection of Defender are as one might expect always compatible with 10.

If you decide to go with my recommendation uninstall AVAST as here
https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Premium-Security/

NOTE from the link
When the confirmation dialog appears, click Restart computer to complete uninstallation.
That is RESTART not shutdown and reboot.
RESTART is a complete shutdown and reboot, whereas shudown and then reboot is NOT a complete shutdown it is Windows 10 hybrid sleep.

When you have done that go here IF NECESSARY
https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/35/
If you are on automatic renewal of subscription.

CCleaner
DO NOT run it on 10 as some manner of maintenance
It is not necessary.
10 manages its own system and does not need CCleaner.
As a troubleshooting tool it is good when used correctly, as a maintenance tool on 10 it is not required and used incorrectly will sooner or later damage the file system

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
With reference to the above - Avast can at times result in problems with windows communication with a printer - as indeed can any antivirus.
If you are going to uninstall Avast, then when you have done so we can address the printer issue
Please inform me of your decision.
If you decide to keep AVAST we can I am sure still get the printer to work, but your decision regarding AVAST is required first please

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online