Same ole printer spooler problem

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well we seem to be making some progress then because on the last image you sent it was not shown, as on the Printresult doc
One note for windows was the default printer
so commission a print again and when you see the window where previously it was not shown ensure this time the one selected is the hp

americamba

Ok, I try to print and the printer (which is On) doesn't make any noise. Everything just sits there. I check the printer in the hidden icons on my screen and get the error message attached as "error message". But I don't always get this message; sometimes there is no message. Does the attached "quieureport" help? Thanks, as always.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
and get the error message attached as "error message".
which error message attached - there is not one on your post

Does the attached "quieureport" help? Thanks, as always.
there is not a report attached - queue - report?

On this link
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027370/windows-10-view-the-print-queue
click the blue button -open printers and scanners settings
then when that opens - click your printer and then click open queue - is there a log list of docs entered, if so click printer tab and then click cancel all documents.

Then close out of that and issue another print cmd.
If that still does not work go back to the original window, that opened with the blue tab on the link and this time click on the right of the page
Run the troubleshooter
Follow the instructions

americamba

I ran the print queue routine to the end and tried to print but got the error message attache bow (this time for real!) Your link to the troubleshooter didn't work. As always, thanks

Attachments

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. Go to Control Panel
device manager
Is the printer listed under the heading printers
If it is shown is there a yellow exclamation mark - if so what does it say on properties - right click and click properties

2. Go to Control Panel - devices and printers
On the icon for your printer - hold your mouse on it - I presume it does not say OFFLINE

The reason I am asking - silly as it sounds, - the printer is turned on I presume
you would still be able to issue a print cmd even if it was not turned on
I DO NOT THINK it is that as I would expect the error to show = printer offline.

3. Download this and run it please as per the instructions

https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...04-m405-series/19203833/swItemId/mp-178793-16

4. Is the printer connnected direct to the usb port or via an extension hub
If via a hub connect direct to usb port on computer

americamba

I downloaded it and it extracted. Next, I clicked "Let's get started", then continue (with printer on), then "connect a new device" then "automatic setup", then "ethernet", and then it gives me the familiar attached message.

In response to point 4, it is connected direct

BTW, the printer is good; it not only prints to the queue, it also prints and produces on paper a form in its onboard menu.

Attachments

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The configuration is trying to find a network connected printer rather than a usb connected printer
Either you have something wrong on the setup OR the procedure on install of the software was not confiugured for USB
One of the errors is
then "automatic setup", then "ethernet", and then it gives me the familiar attached message.
why would you select ethernet - that is for printing as network - you are NOT you are printing USB connection nothing to do with ethernet
See my screenshot
go control panel devices and printers
right click the HP printer icon and click printer properties (NOT properties at the end of the list)
then click change properties button
then click ports tab
look at my screenshot is the usb port checked
if not click to check it and then click apply and ok as necessary
NOW try again
Untitled.png

americamba

The configuration is trying to find a network connected printer rather than a usb connected printer
Either you have something wrong on the setup OR the procedure on install of the software was not confiugured for USB
One of the errors is

why would you select ethernet - that is for printing as network - you are NOT you are printing USB connection nothing to do with ethernet
See my screenshot
go control panel devices and printers
right click the HP printer icon and click printer properties (NOT properties at the end of the list)
then click change properties button
then click ports tab
look at my screenshot is the usb port checked
if not click to check it and then click apply and ok as necessary
NOW try again
View attachment 281305
Great! Looks like we're closing in on it. I got as far as the port choice but there is no usb choice. I thought that the selected lpt1 port might be good but "apply" is greyed out. Now what? Thanks for helping me on the home stretch.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The USB port only shows when the printer is connected usb
Please verify that the printer is connected to the computer by a USB lead and that this lead is then connected direct to a usb port on the computer and not via a usb extension hub, as I have mentioned before .

and that there is NO other connection between the computer and the printer

If so see this anmd ensure setup is USB and not wireless or ethernet
Change the printer connection type (Windows) If you are already using the printer and you wish to change the way it is connected, use Device Setup & Software to change the connection. For example, connect the new printer to the computer using a USB or network connection, or change the connection from a USB to a wireless connection. To open Device Setup & Software, complete the following procedure: 1. Open the HP Printer Assistant. ● Windows 10: From the Start menu, click All Apps, click HP, and then select the printer name.,
In the HP Printer Assistant, select Tools from the navigation bar, and then select Device Setup & Software.

If you still have problems follow this
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03521864

IF YOU PREFER a Video go here
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m404-m405-series/19203833

scroll down to the video connection using usb cable and follow that

The usb cable is copnnected to the second port down on the rear of the computer uisng the cable provided with the printer.
Called the usb interface port
see page 15 of your user manual
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06177490

I feel certain that either you are NOT connected USB or you are connected USB and ethernet - internet or you have set it up for wireless.

If you try ALL of that and it does not solve it then I have ONE MORE idea to try.

americamba

I haven't run away. I've just been tied up with work. I will be back for your appreciated help as soon as I can.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Cheers
Wait to hear from you thanks for taking the trouble to post the updaye

americamba

The USB port only shows when the printer is connected usb
Please verify that the printer is connected to the computer by a USB lead and that this lead is then connected direct to a usb port on the computer and not via a usb extension hub, as I have mentioned before .

If so see this anmd ensure setup is USB and not wireless or ethernet
Change the printer connection type (Windows) If you are already using the printer and you wish to change the way it is connected, use Device Setup & Software to change the connection. For example, connect the new printer to the computer using a USB or network connection, or change the connection from a USB to a wireless connection. To open Device Setup & Software, complete the following procedure: 1. Open the HP Printer Assistant. ● Windows 10: From the Start menu, click All Apps, click HP, and then select the printer name.,
In the HP Printer Assistant, select Tools from the navigation bar, and then select Device Setup & Software.

If you still have problems follow this

IF YOU PREFER a Video go here
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m404-m405-series/19203833

scroll down to the video connection using usb cable and follow that

The usb cable is copnnected to the second port down on the rear of the computer uisng the cable provided with the printer.
Called the usb interface port
see page 15 of your user manual
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06177490

I feel certain that either you are NOT connected USB or you are connected USB and ethernet - internet or you have set it up for wireless.

If you try ALL of that and it does not solve it then I have ONE MORE idea to try.
Cheers
Wait to hear from you thanks for taking the trouble to post the updaye
Out of the various options in your last post, I tried to go to the HP printer assistant but couldn't find it. So I took the next option you suggest: "If you still have problems follow this https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03521864"

I click on the suggested link that takes me to a series of steps that tell me to remove the printer which I do. I follow the next steps of "Step 2: Install the driver and set up the connection" in "https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03521864" and dutifully go to
(123.hp.com) and it tells me to "set up your HP printer". I follow the steps and think I am OK and I have my driver installed so I attempt to print but get the same error message as before (attached)

I tried the video solution but did not get any further. I am frightened by your final comment in caps that you have ONE MORE thing to try. I hope that does not mean ONE LAST solution to try. I know it is not the hardware and I am confident that we will get it fixed. I already have one printer in the basement that I gave up on. I refuse to clutter up the planet with one more piece of scrap. I count on you to stick with me as frustrating as it may be. Continued thanks. PS Stay safe and use your mask.

Attachments

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
please verify as below

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
disconnect the usb from the computer
power off on the printer
go settings apps and uninstall ALL HP entries for the printer
power off the computer with a complete shutdown that is

Step 1: Open Start menu, select Power button.

Step 2: Press and hold the Shift key on keyboard, while clicking on Shut down, and then release the Shift key to perform a full shutdown.
Power on the printer
Connect the USB lead back to the computer
Power on the computer

Look in the notifications area for a message regarding the usb connection and the printer
It may say that a driver is necessary
FOLLOW THIS PROCEDURE ensuring that you select USB at each appropriate stage
that is a local printer
USB
and using the Windows provided driver.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online