Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Same ole printer spooler problem

7K views 94 replies 6 participants last post by  Macboatmaster 
#1 ·
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200625104003.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5020U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 419 GB (201 GB Free); D: 24 GB (24 GB Free); E: 419 GB (219 GB Free); F: 24 GB (24 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO Lenovo Edge 15, ver SDK0J40709 WIN, s/n R90JCJP6
System: Lenovo, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n R90JCJP6R9N0B5C1500T
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Like Don Quixote, I will make you governor of an "insula" if you solve this! I print and nothing happens but the job
just sits there (where? in the printer or in PC?) I try all the troubleshooting instructions of windows 10 and of HP but the problem persists. I am stuck with a new LaseJet Pro M404dn and can't print anything. your help will be appreciated.

See less See more
#6 ·
Turn off printer, now uninstall driver/software package, then reboot. Now go to HP website and download a new copy of driver/software package. Install the software.....then when it tells you to plug in USB cable, just turn on printer and the let it finish installing. This should solve your issue.

I don't know why but the HP software becomes corrupt for what ever reason. I had the same issue with my old HP 5610v. Once windows 10 cam out and HP re did the driver/software for 10 the corruption issue stopped. At least for me it did.

#11 ·
Turn off printer, now uninstall driver/software package, then reboot. Now go to HP website and download a new copy of driver/software package. Install the software.....then when it tells you to plug in USB cable, just turn on printer and the let it finish installing. This should solve your issue.

I don't know why but the HP software becomes corrupt for what ever reason. I had the same issue with my old HP 5610v. Once windows 10 cam out and HP re did the driver/software for 10 the corruption issue stopped. At least for me it did.
Thanks for trying to help. Now with all respect, I h
I posted the direct link to the fix. :giggle:
If you have 64bit version of Windows then it's the first entry on the page.
you said:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/windows-message-center
Scroll down to: Out-of-band update for an issue in which certain printers may be unable to print after installing updates released June

Then I went to "out of band "etc as you say and do not find any usable link then

Female. Funny. Gemini.

#10 · (Edited)
How did you install the printer? I know some (if not all) of the M4 series have an autoinstall option that will install from the setup that is within the printer.

edit: This option was discontinued... probably because it was a bad idea and hardly worked...

I see that you have mentioned that you have tried the Printer troubleshooter. Can you print a test page?

#17 ·

Thanks for help? where do I get driver software package?

#18 ·
Which Windows version are you running - 1903, 1909 or 2004?
The update is for 1909 & lower.
The first entry is for 1903 & 1909 Windows 10 64bit version.
The sixth entry is for the same Windows but 32bit.

#19 · (Edited)
americamba
I presume you either missed my post 15 or decided it did not help
As you have made no reference to it whatsoever.

Re this
Thanks for help? where do I get driver software package?
on your post 17
I provided the link and the details on my post at point 7 and went to the trouble of copying the installation details for you

Also at point 10 on that post 15, I mentioned your earlier topic and the question of Avast

I strongly suggest you read my post 15 and deal with that issue at point 10 on your previous topic and indeed when that is sorted and the question of Avast on this thread, you may find the problem is solved.

#22 · (Edited)
americamba
I presume you either missed my post 15 or decided it did not help
As you have made no reference to it whatsoever.

on your post 17
I provided the link and the details on my post at point 7 and went to the trouble of copying the installation details for you

Also at point 10 on that post 15, I mentioned your earlier topic and the question of Avast

I strongly suggest you read my post 15 and deal with that issue at point 10 on your previous topic and indeed when that is sorted and the question of Avast on this thread, you may find the problem is solved.
I am very ashamed of appearing to ignore your long detailed post. I am impressed by your goodwill and efforts. Sorry for my getting lost in the woods. Thanks for our patience. Be sure that I appreciate your help. I will now work my way through the links again. My questions will be clear and with screenshots from now on. thanks again

#23 ·
To try and help you further

2. as my colleague has said, you go to that link
when you do so you see this

3. You scroll down to your version of windows and click the link to that version
so lets say you went to this one

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4567512/windows-10-update-kb4567512
It lists the item mentioned
Updates an issue that might prevent certain printers from printing, generate print errors, or cause apps and print spoolers to close unexpectedly.

4. so you then check on installed updates if you have that update and if not you download it from that link - by clicking the
link to the Microsoft Update catalogue

5. WE KNOW you have version Build 18363
but we do not know which sub version you will find that in settings - system and then about on left pane.
The full version will be shown in the main window

6. That deals with the aspect of the problem being caused by the update to the newer version of windows.

7. The other possible problem is the driver for the printer
You go here
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m404-m405-series/19203833/model/19202536
configure it for windows 10 64 bit and then with the printer disconnected
YOU uninstall all HP drivers or printer software packages and then download the one shown here on the link above
HP LaserJet Pro M404/M405dn/M404/M405n/M404m Printer Full Software Solution
following the installation instructions

8. If that does not solve it, then you are back to other problems

9. IF YOU are still using Avast as your AV, then disable AVAST whilst uninstalling and installing the printer driver and indeed the windows update fix for the problem

10. FINALLY on your earlier topic where you asked for advice re Defender and Avast
Here
https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-defender-antivirus.1247694/

A colleague has noticed a point I missed. I advised that Windows Defender - now known as Windows Security (Defender) would be disabled if you had Avast installed, What I failed to ask was and my colleague noticed it, WHY is Avast not shown on our system information utility
It maybe a glitch in our system info utility, but YOU need to return to the topic and have the issue addressed.
Basically the question is - IS AVAST turned on.

11.As ON this topic here, where you are reading this our information utility shows
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200625104003.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5020U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 4
Hard Drives: C: 419 GB (201 GB Free); D: 24 GB (24 GB Free); E: 419 GB (219 GB Free); F: 24 GB (24 GB Free);

and both of your topics are the same computer.
To your question "is avast turned on"? does the screenshot help? If so, how to disable it? thanks again

Attachments

#26 ·
That's 1909.
You'd need the first entry in the Update catalogue list. If you've tried this & restarted the PC then it's not the MS bug.
1. I don't understand this page. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4554364/windows-10-update-kb4554364 . I click though 1909 to it but what is next? How do I download and install?

2. BTW my build 18363.959 is not listed. Is any 18363 (with any extension) OK?

3. How do I get to the " first entry in the Update catalogue list. " that you mention?

thanks

That's 1909.
You'd need the first entry in the Update catalogue list. If you've tried this & restarted the PC then it's not the MS bug.

#27 ·
You click on this link: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4567512 then click download on the right side next to the correct version (32bit or 64bit - ignore those listed for server) then click on the long string link shown in the popup: http://download.windowsupdate.com/c..._2ea636c671529de2154d48a1181c0f02cd919da5.msu
Is the direct link for the version I believe you need, once downloaded you install like any other program by double-clicking on the file & following instructions.

#32 ·

Attachments

#28 · (Edited)

3. You scroll down to your version of windows and click the link to that version

Updates an issue that might prevent certain printers from printing, generate print errors, or cause apps and print spoolers to close unexpectedly.

4. so you then check on installed updates if you have that update and if not you download it from that link - by clicking the

but we do not know which sub version you will find that in settings - system and then about on left pane.

6. That deals with the aspect of the problem being caused by the update to the newer version of windows.

You go here
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m404-m405-series/19203833/model/19202536h
YOU uninstall all HP drivers or printer software packages and then download the one shown here on the link above

9. IF YOU are still using Avast as your AV, then disable AVAST whilst uninstalling and installing the printer driver and indeed the windows update fix for the problem

10. FINALLY on your earlier topic where you asked for advice re Defender and Avast
Here

A colleague has noticed a point I missed. I advised that Windows Defender - now known as Windows Security (Defender) would be disabled if you had Avast installed, What I failed to ask was and my colleague noticed it, WHY is Avast not shown on our system information utility
It maybe a glitch in our system info utility, but YOU need to return to the topic and have the issue addressed.

11.As ON this topic here, where you are reading this our information utility shows

how do I uninstall

You go here
https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-m404-m405-series/19203833/model/19202536

Here

Once again, my sincere thanks. I had this problem before and despite help from many sides, I gave up and got a new printer, now I have same issue again. I count on you getting me through to the end.

You wrote: 5. WE KNOW you have version Build 18363
The full version will be shown in the main window. It is 18363.959 but I can't find the exact sub-build to download.

I also also tried the driver soultion that you suggest.

18363.959 thanks I hope it helps

You go here

Here

Once again, my sincere thanks. I had this problem before and despite help from many sides, I gave up and got a new printer, now I have the same issue again. I count on you getting me through to the end.

You wrote: 5. WE KNOW you have version Build 18363

but we do not know which subversion you will find that in settings - system and then about on left pane.

The full version will be shown in the main window.

It is 18363.959 but I can't find the exact sub-build to download.

I also tried the driver solution that you suggest but it also broke down.

I think the problem in both approaches that keeps me from going forward is that my printer has not been properly added to my PC. Maybe it would be better for you to help me sort this first. In my attempt to follow instructions, I uninstalled the printer (HP LaserJet Pro M404dn) and now can't get it back. I did the usual steps like "add a new printer" etc. but no luck. If we tackle it this way, I will send screenshots of my feeble steps. I am in no rush, if you stick with me, I will follow all our recommendations. For the moment, I do not have to print anything. thanks, Frank

#29 ·
I posted the correct link which you need to get the printer working & how to install the update. Did you follow my instructions? Did you restart the PC after installing the update?
The subversion of your OS doesn’t matter - it’s the version which is important either 1903, 1909 or 2004, you have 1909.

#30 ·
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4565483/windows-10-update-kb4565483
includes the update to correct the possible printer problem
The reason I asked the full version was that the original out of band update - available only via the update catalogue applied to
However I do not think that is the problem.

americamba
It is I am sure better if you work with just one person, so I will leave you with my colleague Goddess-Bastet
That will enable you to simply post one reply, instead of trying to answer both of our queries
Good luck with it

#34 ·
How is the printer connected to the PC - Wired or Wireless?
Are you trying to print from the PC or via another device?
Have you tried turning off the printer & turning it on again?

#37 ·
Windows.
Select the Start button, then select Settings > System > About .
At the right, under Device specifications, see System type.

What about the latest driver & firmware for the printer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.