1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

same problem (USB device over current status detected), different cause?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rerunmcnally, Jul 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rerunmcnally

rerunmcnally Thread Starter

Okay, I am now a member of the "USB device over current status detected" club. Here's what led up to the error, as I'm stumped as to what to try.

I've had this computer for years, since it was new, with zero problems. For memory I had 4 sticks of Ult30215 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz for a total of 2 gigs of memory (my computer recognized all 2 gigs with no problems).

Recently I decided I'd like to bump my memory to the max of 4 gigs (or a little less, as detailed by the manual). So I purchased four sticks of 1GB PC3200 184pin DIMM non-ECC 400MHz. I don't know the brand name because I got them on eBay. 18004memory's system scan just shows two 1gig sticks.

When the new 1gig sticks arrived I powered the computer down, removed the four 512MB sticks and installed the four 1gig sticks. Power on and beep, "USB Device Over Current Status Detected System will Shut Down in 15 seconds."

I made NO other changes other than installing the four new 1gig sticks of RAM. The tower was not moved. No jumpers were dislodged and remain in place. No motherboard screws were adjusted in any way. I've never had front USB ports connected and they remain disconnected.

I unplugged all USB devices and reinstalled the four 512MB sticks and the system booted flawlessly ("System" showed 2 gigs of RAM). I removed the four 512MB sticks and installed ONE 1gig stick in slot B1 (the correct slot for just 1 stick of RAM, per the manual). The system booted flawlessly and "System" showed 1 gig of RAM.

I powered down, installed another 1gig stick, booted flawlessly and "System" showed 2 gigs of RAM. I powered down, installed one more 1gig stick, booted flawlessly and "System" showed 2 gigs of RAM. This was not a surprise, but I just wanted to check it and see what happened.

I powered down, installed two 2gig sticks (so now all 4 are installed), powered on and beep, "USB Device Over Current Status Detected System will Shut Down in 15 seconds." I turned the system off, removed two 1gig sticks, turned back on and am posting this now with 2gigs of RAM.

I copied & pasted the Tech Support Guy info about my machine below so hopefully it will detail how what my machine is/how it's set up. I do have a floppy drive, by the way.

Could the memory be bad? Could my motherboard really not be able to handle 4gigs of RAM even though the manual says it can? I am not happy that I've spent $100 and still can only get 2gigs of RAM to register on this machine.

I checked the pages in the manual about where jumpers should be and they're all there in the correct place. Again, I changed NOTHING other than swapping memory.

I work out of state and don't have tons of free time to try and figure out what's up, so that's why I posted here after reading many posts about the same error. I did not read every post, so if the answer is already out and I missed it please forgive me.

If additional data is needed let me know. Thank you very much for your help, and here's hoping it's something easy. If I have to return my memory I'm going to get hosed on their BS "restocking" fee, and will have to pay the shipping to get it back to them, and will have to reimburse them their shipping; here's hoping I can avoid all that.

R

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+, x86 Family 15 Model 15 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT , 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 156289 MB, Free - 134075 MB; F: Total - 156327 MB, Free - 74046 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., A8V Deluxe, Rev 1.xx, MB-1234567890
    Antivirus: Smart Engine, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I put this in your own thread. When you have a problem please start your own thread rather than hijack an existing thread.

As for your problem have you tried relocating the mb in the case? ie loosen all screws and recenter board.

Next what bios are you running? The latest release bios addresses usb overcurrent issues.

3. rerunmcnally

I realized as soon as I clicked "post" I forgot to mention that data. Had BIOS 1017, now have the current version 1018.

However, the updated BIOS did not fix my problem. So I loosened and retightened all the motherboard screws. That did not help.

Still have no USB devices connected. Any ideas?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Try pulling the board out of the case and do an out of the case build [instructions at top of the forum under problem builds]
    connect a known good pw supply. Note known good does NOT mean new; it means one you pulled from a working system and you KNOW it works.

If you still get the msg, the board has probably failed. Nothing lasts forever and that board is going on 8+ years old now.

5. rerunmcnally

Thank you very much for the reply and the suggestions.

However, I'm completely stumped. Why would the motherboard's location (in the tower or out) have absolutely anything to do with whether the new RAM (RAM B) works when the present RAM (RAM A) works fine?

Same question for the power supply. Unless it's a voltage issue (I've seen voltage adjustments somewhere in BIOS but I've never altered them, as I saw no reason to mess with something I knew nothing about) I don't understand why the power supply (which is known to be good, as it's powered my machine since the day I built it) would work with RAM A, but suddenly not work with RAM B, but then work fine again when RAM A is reinstalled.

Same question with the board. How can the board work fine with RAM A, but then be a failure with RAM B, but work perfectly fine with RAM A when RAM B is removed? Unless the world of computers is different then what I understand, when something fails, it just fails and it no longer works regardless of what's done. Now if it's a situation where intermittent functionality exists (sometimes hypothetical situation X works, but other times X doesn't work) that makes perfect sense to me - something is wonky that's causing situation X not to work. But in a situation when RAM A works and RAM B doesn't work, but then RAM A does work when I take RAM B out I wouldn't think that the board has failed. If I should think that, I'd love to know why as then I'd definitely learn something new.

Please don't take my questions as a reflection of a bad attitude on my part where I think I know everything and the suggestions I get are crazy, as that's not the case at all (after all, that's why I posted a question here, as the other posts I've read on the website seemed very helpful to the people who originally posted).

However, I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this situation, and because I have very limited free time AND I don't have spare parts (power supplies, etc.) I really am not interested in tearing my machine apart until I gain a clearer understanding of what I was trying to do with those steps.

Again, I'm not trying to start any type of war or contest about who knows more (I'd definitely lose that one for sure). If it's a situation where the RAM won't work in my machine then that's perfectly fine other than the fact that I'm out a little cash; I'll chalk that up to experience and learn to either perform more research beforehand or take the computer to a professional and let them handle it and any assorted problems like this.

Thank you again, both for the suggestions and for reading. Unless you have bags of free time there's no rush to reply as I'm afraid I'm just going to have to give up on this situation. This is a case where installing new RAM should be easy, and in this case it's not, so I guess I'll have to adapt and overcome.

R

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, I thought it was giving you the error regardless of the amount of ram installed. Is it working correctly with just the 2gig of ram?

7. rerunmcnally

Yes, everything works fine (fine = computer boots and functions normally with no errors whatsoever) with my original 2gigs (four sticks of ULT30215 512MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz) of RAM. Frustrating!

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are going to have to live with the problem. Many boards have "issues" with all of the ram slots populated.

2gig is more than enough for xp. You do understand that even IF you were able to install 4gig, your system would only use 3.25~3.5 or so anyway.

I have the very same board here running an old win98/win2k system. Via chipset boards are problematic at best.

9. rerunmcnally

Yes, I knew I wouldn't really "see" 4gigs. But I had no idea they wouldn't work with my system. Too bad I learned after spending cash.

I threw two of the 512meg sticks in the other slots and now have 3 gigs. More than 2, but more expensive than I had wanted to go.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

At least it works now.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1009004

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice