1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

same setups in same area same plan diff speeds?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by steve3258, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steve3258

steve3258 Thread Starter

hi, my question is this.... we have cnturylink price for life plan at both my house and my inlaws house located about 5 houses apart in same neighborhood. both have same 1.5mbps plans started back in 2009. both have same modem and same router setups as well. however at my house I'm receiving anywhere from 5-7 mbps download speeds while my inlaws receive less than 2 mbps download speeds. any help? thanks

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

You may have gotten a free upgrade, they may not have. 1.5mbs isn't even a plan I see anyone offering anymore. They may also have a line quality or modem issue. I'd call Century Link.

4. steve3258

steve3258 Thread Starter

i have talked to century link now couple of times. I asked them what my plan says and they tell me I'm subscribed to 1.5mbps. same as them. could it be that we have just hooked up their new modem where as mine has been hooked up for over a year now and it may take centurylink a little while to see that they now have newer equipment and will get a boost in their download speeds?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Its not really the modem that determines your speed but your service level, although if you have a bad or ancient modem it can limit your speed but I doubt their modem is limited to 1.5Mbps.

Be sure you are also not comparing Megabits to MegaBytes. There's 8 bits to a 1 Byte.

6. steve3258

steve3258 Thread Starter

I'm using fast.com my speed shows right around 7 theirs shows under 2. same setup with modem and routers and same plans with centurylink

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

You could try rebooting their modem and router or bypassing the router at their house.

You could also swap the modem and/or router if you want with yours and see what happens. Your username/password for the DSL is store in the modem or router though so one of the two devices should give a speed boost at their house, and vice versa at your house.

But if you pay for a 1.5mbps service then CenturyLink has bumped up your speed or made a mistake on your account. If they are at a 1.5mbps plan and getting approximately that then that's what should be happening. You could probably price out a new internet package for faster speeds, 1.5 or even 7 mbps is pretty slow, might not be much more to get a better package, sometimes if the plan is really old it's just a mistake and you can get the new base plan as a free upgrade.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1188802