1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Same SSID's in one house

Discussion in 'Networking' started by avinashd, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avinashd

avinashd Thread Starter

I am having a little problem. My WiFi SSID is "WLanF7F691" and on my computer I see two networks labeled "WLanF7F691" and "WLanF7F691 2." My computer keeps disconnecting after some time and I have to connect to the other network for it to work. I am really frustrated with this. I have kept the default SSID and WPA key. So do I just assume there are two networks with the same name and key or do you think this is a router problem?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  3. avinashd

avinashd Thread Starter

I have attached two screenshots, one from Windows and one from the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector.

Windows:
    [​IMG]

Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector:
    [​IMG]

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That was a good idea to show both screen shots--helps us see what you are seeing. Here's my take ...

The Xirrus shows that there is actually only one network named "WLanF7F691." I think the Windows screen shot indicates that you have two (perhaps identical) wireless profiles defined for WLanF7F691. I don't have Vista handy right now, but I think that if you go into the Network and Sharing Center there is a "Manage wireless networks" link. Click that and you can delete one of the profiles.

5. avinashd

avinashd Thread Starter

That helped a lot. Thank you. I also have a problem with my iPad. It says it is connected to my network but it doesn't work after a while. I have to disconnect my iPad and then reconnect for it to work. Do you have any suggestions?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You also mentioned some disconnects for the PC. As long as all those other networks stay on channel 6 they are not interfering with you. However, if your router is set to "auto select" a channel it may be periodically toggling between channels 1 and 11. That would cause a disconnect. The PC and iPad should reconnect automatically, but even that would be distasteful. Check the router setting (in the Wireless section) and if it is on 'auto' change it to channel 11 or 1.

Check the Xirrus output if you continue to get disconnects. And network with a channel number less than 5 different from yours could cause interference.

There is a Xirrus Yahoo! widget for MAC OS; don't know if that works on an iPad.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice