1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

samsung 2514n 250 gb ext. hd.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hochdahl, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hochdahl

hochdahl Thread Starter

Hi, bought the hd a year ago loaded some data on it and put it on a shelf.
    Recently changed from XP to Vista ultim. now pc doesn´t see the hd and I can´t find the driver sw, where can I download the software for this hd, samsung was of no help.

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

How does it connect to the computer?

3. hochdahl

hochdahl Thread Starter

per usb

4. shinybeast

shinybeast

That's and IDE drive in an enclosure then, right? You may need to get Vista drivers from the manufacturer of enclosure.

5. hochdahl

hochdahl Thread Starter

Yep, that´s it. I´ll have to do some research since the only info I can find in or outside of the housing is "MOBILE DISK external data storage", doesn´t sound like much help.
    I´ll Google it and let (you) everyone know what I find.
    Thanks for the push in a direction.

6. hochdahl

hochdahl Thread Starter

The enclosure supplier is AdvData, I´ve contacted them over their site and awaite a reply

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Driver software for external drives is native to XP and Vista, there is no driver you can download. If you go Run, devmgmt.msc, and hit enter, can you see the drive there and if so how is it described?

8. hochdahl

hochdahl Thread Starter

my pc knows that something is conn. to a usb port, it does not recognise it but says the driver software is up-to-date

9. shinybeast

shinybeast

When you run device manager is there any device tree that is already expanded and if so what is it? (Should be "+" all down the side, look for a "-")

10. hochdahl

hochdahl Thread Starter

No, nothing is showing BUT I got a reply from AdvData, seems that I may have a network drive mapping issue, here´s what they said,
    "...it might be that you have mapped network drives using the next available drive letter. EG: you have a floppy drive ( A: ) then you have your hard drive ( C: ) then you have your cdrom drive ( D: ) and a mapped network drive ( E: ) When you connect the drive to your computer it will try to assign the drive to E: but you will not be able to see it since the mapped network drive is currently using that letter. If this is the case, try disconnecting the mapped network drive or changing the letter of the mapped network drive to a higher letter such as F: Even without the driver being installed, it should show up in the device manager as unknown device, or having problems starting."
    I have 2 hdd in my pc (C + D) + floppy + cdrom + dvd (A, E, F).
    This is probably my prob., I´ll try it in a.m.- I´m beat, will let everyone know how it works out.
    :) g´nite.

11. shinybeast

shinybeast

If you haven't, try booting the PC without USB drive attached, then attach it after Windows has loaded and see if Vista detects it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice