1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung 3. 1Tb Portable Hard-disk is "Unknown"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SproeiPoes, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SproeiPoes

SproeiPoes Thread Starter

Alright, so I bought a new portable harddisk, the samsung 3 1tb. However for some reason my pc does detect it, but is not able to run it. it gives me the error that it is an unknown device.

However, i tried the Hdd on several other pcs, and it worked fine, leaving me the conclusion that my pc is at fault. After recommendations from a friend, i tried to find myself some updated drivers for my motherboard, specifically usb drivers. However, my driver CD, aswell as the Asus site did not support my operating system (Windows 7, 64 bit).

So here I am, still unable to resolve this, hoping that any of you might be able to help me out. If you need any additional information, ill provide it asap.

./SproeiPoes

2. SproeiPoes

3. SproeiPoes

bump again :(

4. Sharma7

Sharma7

5. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

have you tried updating the chipset drivers like my asus p5q-e has an intel ich10, try the INF update program, though it would be helpful if there were any details of the components you've got

6. SproeiPoes

Right, to answer your questions, the HDD says it's a S2 portable 3 1tb.

Furthermore, when registering i provided my system specs, thought'd show up in the thread, however, it didnt. So here it is again:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8190 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260, 896 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 29999 MB, Free - 4915 MB; D: Total - 580487 MB, Free - 200916 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., StrikerExtreme, 1.XX , 123456789000
    Antivirus: None

7. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

try downloading and updating the driver directly from nvidia >>
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
    select:
    product type:nforce
    product series: nforce 6 series
    product:680i SLI
    download type: driver [you can have a few more options for other things here too]
    language: your own

usually they have the things for usb and other controllers in one package and probably could solve the problem.
    give it a go!

8. SproeiPoes

did that, unfortunately to no avail.... :(

Didnt give any errors or whatever, but just didnt fix the problem

9. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

.try going to device manager and rolling back the driver, if that doesnt work, uninstall the driver then install the chipset driver again
    [my computer>system properties[top]>device manager[left side]

10. SproeiPoes

Sorry, for the late response.

But this unfortunately did not work either, just to be sure i also uninstalled all drivers, and reinstalled updated versions... Yet that apparantly wasnt it. I guess its a hardware problem then. Ill try linking the hdd to my PC via my Xbox, and watch my shows that way. Until i can afford a new PC....

Thnx for your help anyway.

11. SproeiPoes

Ok seems that isnt gonna work either, first of all Xbox cant play. mkv, and connecting the xbox to the pc isnt really working since i want to access the files on my hdd....

So that brings us back to the original problem, trying to get my PC to recognize my hdd....

Help please, im desperate....

12. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

try plugging them into another usb port on the motherboard, you have 2 more, there is one next to the one its plugged into and then there is another on top of the first expansion port [white] mid way up the board, they're all blue coloured.
    does it work with the back panel usb's?

13. SproeiPoes

No, unfortunately it does not, i tried all available USB slots, none worked, it does detect the presence of the hdd, but does not recognize it as a usable hdd.

Additonally it tried playing my files via Wiselink on my samsung tv, however that does not play videos, trying to update that tho....

14. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

asus havent said on their website that they would support this board for windows 7, so it'll probably be something that'll take a while

15. getsugatenso

getsugatenso

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/986465

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice