1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung 940N monitor "flashes" and hangs PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rangitamoe, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rangitamoe

rangitamoe Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I've been using a Samsung 940N LCD monitor on my PC for quite a few months without a hitch, but in the last 2 weeks or so I will be using my PC as normal when the monitor will suddenly "flash" and the screen seems to go out of focus, pixels start to flicker and the whole PC just hangs. This can happen during startup, after 5 minutes or after 3 hours. There is no warning as to when it will happen.

The same problem occurs when I boot to safe mode as well. On one of the times when it wasn't crashing for a long time I managed to run some virus/spyware/trojan etc tests and they all came up clean. I'm not sure if it's the video or the monitor causing the problem.

I just have onboard video on an ASUS AS78-MX motherboard. Is this something that can be fixed or should I just start looking at a new PC ?

Thanks,
    Rang

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi mate!

I really doubt that those problems are caused by your monitor...Unless the monitor's drivers are somehow causing the hangs it is almost impossible. As you guessed it is most likely your video card or something else like your CPU overheating. The bad thing is that is pretty tough to isolate the problem since everything could be the cause.

First of all try hooking your monitor to another PC and see if the problem persists. You can also try hooking another monitor to your machine and see.

Replacing your VGA or DVI cables would be also a good idea.

Are you sure that the PC hangs, right? Try playing some audio before reproducing the problem. That way you may see if the PC hangs or if the monitor gets messed up.

3. rangitamoe

It's definitely hanging the PC, as I tried playing audio as well like you suggested and the keyboard is non functional.

During one of the long uptime moments I managed to update the drivers (which were some 4 years old!) and I haven't had the problem since....touch wood. Not 100% convinced that this was the problem, but as long as it's a lot more stable I'm happy.

Will keep you posted if it re-occurs

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

1 will get you 50 that the monitor is a symptom, not the cause. It displays the output, but has no other contact with the PC. In that respect it is like speakers- all output, no input. From what you describe, I would guess at overheating, or failed (failing) component or outdated drivers- from what you post, it seems drivers are the more likely. :)

5. rangitamoe

Well it has been stable now for a few days, however it seems to be only because its showing graphics in just VGA mode . I can't seem to be able to get it to go back to "normal" graphics. Can anyone help?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice