1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Samsung 970 EVO Plus or WD SN750 NVMe for gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jo743721, Sep 10, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. jo743721

jo743721 Thread Starter

Hey, so the only reason I'm leaning towards the SN750 is because it was listed better than the EVO for gaming and the EVO was listed better for 4k and video editing. The WD benchmarks are all over the place and the samsung feels more reliable all around. I'm just trying to find a reason to justify the decision of either. I play a lot of World of Warcraft where getting in a 40 man pvp group at full settings with some specs is where you might as well get a toaster. I also play Overwatch, Mortal Kombat 11, Ace Combat 7, the new Call of Duty. I like to have apps and tabs up on firefox while playing. I know 0 about any hardware.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  2. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

Comparing the 2, they're pretty much the same across the board. Even in their reviews they're almost identical. Price point is pretty close....only a $15 difference. Then chose the WD with heatsink and the price point difference is only $2.

I would go with the WD with heatsink.

3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Gaming isn't really impacted by drive speed. The only thing a fast drive provides is faster initial load or start up times. Any SSD or M.2 drive would display similar performance for "gaming".

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have both a samsung and a WD M.2 and I can tell you both work just fine. The only real difference is in the monitoring software; the samsung software is far better than the WD. In fact the WD dashboard or monitoring software is junk compared to the samsung.
    Up to you; both work very well. One thing to consider, some motherboards come with a heatsink for the M.2 drive. If your board has this option, then get the drive without the heatsink [since you cannot use both]

SarahSims likes this.
  5. jo743721

jo743721 Thread Starter

Ya I'm thinking about going for something half the cost, it's just, what's with all the talk about them being so good for gaming? It kind of seems like they won't be relative to today's games for quite awhile though.

6. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I also want to echo the sentiments that a NVMe drive won't really make a huge boost in gaming "performance" over a good SSD. I've been running an Intel P3608 NVMe in my gaming box for years. There wasn't a huge noticeable increase. I still run the P3608 because I have it around to use. Otherwise, your money is better spent else where.

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I'd have to see your references. But most/many people that chime in on what is "best" are referring to benchmark tests and not real world performance. So yes, obviously a faster drive is "better". But in everyday usage, you don't always see that performance. Most will notice that Windows may load a bit faster, but when Windows can load in under a minute anyway from an SSD, is it worth the money to gain a few seconds? Gaming wise, most HDD usage is when starting the game or with FPS, when changing levels. So again, you may notice a slight difference in the game load times. But you will see no difference in the game performance.

For a primary drive (ie: OS, software, and games), I'd spend the money for a Samsung 860 EVO drive.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would say there is a performance increase when using a nvme type drive. Both of my systems with nvme drives boot windows in approx 5 seconds after POST. With a standard ssd, the time is more like 10~12 seconds after POST. In addition, programs open faster. As far as gaming or anything like that, once the game loads then there is not going to be any difference. The game or program is going to load faster however that is about it; no change in performance after loading.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice