1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung BD-D5300 - how to play old DVDs?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tandanus, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tandanus

tandanus Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I just bought a Samsung BD-D5300 Blue Ray / DVD player. It plays Commercial DVDs fine and it plays ONE of my home made DVDs (the most recent one) - all the older ones look like the vertical hold is wrong - the image is monochrome and has horizontal bars and sort of flickers. If I try to play the original .avi through the USB port it looks the same. All the home made DVDs were made with ConvertXtoDVD Portable and they played fine on my old DVD player. Can anyone diagnose the problem? and Is there a fix for this?
    Thanks
    T.
    Edit: OK, maybe some progress on this... Samsung tell me that I dont have the right .AVI codecs. So I'm thinking to convert the original .AVI file to .MKV first, before I run it through ConvertXtoDVD. Thoughts? Good converters?
    Thanks
    T.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

Sounds like the typical problem when playing PAL format DVD's in a NTSC DVD player.

3. tandanus

tandanus Thread Starter

Hmmm,
    How do I tell if my DVD is PAL format?
    Thanks
    T.

4. johnebadbak

johnebadbak

dvd region can be changed in /device manager right click on rom drive /properties/dvd region but be careful region can only be changed a few times

5. Oddba11

Oddba11 Jim

Are the "old DVD's" commercial discs, or old home videos on DVD? After re-reading the original post, it sounds like you are saying old home videos on DVD. In which case, they are likely on media (ie: DVD brand/type) that is not supported by that player.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1014588