1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung charger - help!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ben274, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ben274

Ben274 Thread Starter

I have had my samsung r510 laptop for almost 2 years now, and all has been fine.
    HOWEVER, a few days ago I noticed that my charger is only working when it is in a certain position, otherwise no power! Does anyone have any experience with this problem? I don't want to buy a new charger and then find out it is the lap top that is playing up! Thanks in advance!

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    has anyone stood on the Plug that goes into the laptop - I have had to repair a couple of these for my kids .......(and one not so kid :) :) )
    do you own a voltmeter at all (Multimeter) where you can measure voltages

3. Ben274

Ben274 Thread Starter

don't think so!

Although I am in a boys boarding house so it could be very possible!

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    must be a volt meter in the school, and someone who can help you use it - its good info to know, so the physics or science master should be able to help - plug the unit in and then test the output from the plug that goes into the laptop - make sure you do nor short the out put with the test leads - then measure the output voltage - it will be DC voltage and between about 12- 20V depending on make and model - BUT the output voltage will be written on the unit - so you can see that - then wiggle the cable just at the edge of the plug and see if the voltage goes to 0 zero and back again - shows the cable is broken ....IT is possible to cut the plug off and resolder - but you need to be able to solder and know what you are doing here - otherwise if you have proved the cable is faulty you can buy replacements - amazon have them - check the Voltage and Current rating on the unit -
    ALSO - does anyone else have the same make of laptop - still check the power supply unit they have for voltage and current ONLY if the same - you could try that and see it works OK - if it does not work then you know its likely to be the laptop

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice