1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung drive won't recognize on SATA controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by parasolution, Dec 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. parasolution

parasolution Thread Starter

I have a P4 3ghz Abit IC7 Max3 MoBo running on Vista 32 bit home premium. It has 2 SATA channels on the southbridge and 4 SATA channels on a Silicon Image MoBo chip and 2 IDE channels. My C drive and DVD are on the southbridge (SATA 1 & 2). I have a WD 400GB drive on SATA 3 (SiL chip), as well as 2 IDE drives.

I purchased a Samsung 750GB SATA drive. I formatted through a SATA/USB cable and then installed the drive in the SATA 4 connection. When I rebooted, it got to the Silicon Image Bios Screen (hit control-s or f4 to enter) and showed the WD drive (and size) and then the Samsung drive, but it would not show the samsung drive size. All it showed was an blinking underscore where the drive size should appear. If I tried pressing F4 or Control-S, nothing would happen, system appears frozen. I removed just the WD drive and the same thing happened again.

I removed the Samsung drive and installed it through the SATA/USB cable. I deleted the partition, in order to start from scratch. I reinstalled the drive on the SATA 4 channel and the same problem appeared. So, I removed the drive again and installed it through a SATA/USB cable. System booted this time and Vista found the drive.

I reinstalled the drive in the SATA 4 channel and rebooted. I went into the PC Bios and disabled the RAID option for the controller and the PC booted and recognized the Samsung drive.

Everything is running fine now, but RAID is turned off. This is a concern because I have another 750GB Samsung drive on the way and I want to set-up RAID for those 2 drives. For some reason the controller has a problem with Samsung drive with RAID option turned on. I'm not sure if its because I had 2 mismatched drives on the controller or if it just doesn't like Samsung drives. As long as RAID is turned on and the Samsung drive attached, I can't even go into the controller BIOS or boot the PC.

Any ideas on what's happening?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. parasolution

parasolution Thread Starter

I think most of my drives are up to date, but I'll double check. I'll also try the jumper when I return from vacation. Thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/782840

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice