Samsung Galaxy S4 may ship with unbreakable display

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TechSocial

TSG Facebook/Twitter/Social Media
All the rumors point to the Galaxy S4 smartphone arriving in April 2013. We’ve also got a pretty good idea of what to expect in terms of the core components: a 5-inch 1080p display, quad-core processor, 13MP camera, and LTE out the box. But one feature that may also come as standard is an unbreakable screen.

Today’s smartphone displays crack and break because they use glass, which is rather fragile. However, research and development is being carried out to try and replace the glass substrate with plastic, and in the process add that unbreakable property.

Read More

Yup, I think it's going to be Gorilla Glass 3 which Corning presented at CES 2013. There is a demo on YouTube, search it if you want, where you can see exactly how strong this display is. The guy drops a metal ball on it and nothing happens :).
Also, I don't know if you know but there is a leaked photo out there :D Hope it will look like this, I like the no Home button design. Can't wait!

wow,i have to admit,samsung really did a very excellent job in the these years,especially in the smartphone field. I am an Apple fans before,I bought iphone 3 and iphone 4s,but now,after the release of iphone 5,I bought samsung n7100... I love Apple iphone,but samsung smartphone is also very amazing.

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
Can't help being a bit sceptical about 'unbreakable' screens. I remember when CD's were introduced and were marketed as being indestructible and look how that turned out :)
It's all relative; of course you can't build an iron-man suit out of smart phones (it will probably have a warning on somewhere just in case anyone's dumb enough to try), but a display that just doesn't shatter if it's dropped or stepped on is significantly more "unbreakable" than the current generation. If I understand it correctly, the new approach is to look for more flexible displays instead of rigid glass, so that they bend (and bend back) instead of breaking. Of course a 12 gauge would go straight through it, but bulletproof phones aren't exactly in popular demand.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts