1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Samsung Galaxy S9+: how do you shut off video auto-play??

Discussion in 'Android Mobile Devices' started by bj nick, Jul 8, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Looked everywhere.....Googled it to death.....a great mystery.....

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Video auto play in what app?

3. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I don't know, I guess YouTube. My phone will just be sitting there and all of a sudden a video will start to play.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'm unable to reproduce this.
    I own a Galaxy tablet since 2016 and a Galaxy phone since 2017 and I've never had videos just start to play with the tablet or phone on and "just sitting there".

Perhaps you need to scan for malware.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yeah, sounds like you need to do a malware scan, you can try MalwareBytes from the App Store.

6. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

I couldn't reproduce it either. It has happened twice and as far as a malware scan, I'm happy to do it, but I only bought the phone 4 days ago. Permission to rant? I find it utterly ridiculous that nowhere on this phone is a setting to turn autoplay on or off. I cannot imagine where it could be, I have searched literally everywhere.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I bought my phone at Best Buy and was able to go in and ask questions. Are you able to take it back to where you purchased it and ask questions?

Autoplay is associated with an app/program so you need to figure out what app is firing up.

I'd get a sound, which I didn't want and it took me a long time to determine what was making the sound. I have UBReader installed on my tablet. It was notifying me of something and I did not want to be notified. I kept going through my local weather app figuring that was what was doing it but every time I went through the settings, notifications were turned off.

8. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Thank you for your response. I could go back and talk to them, but I already spent a long time on the phone with their Tech Support and as was pointed out above, it's definitely associated with an app. We've pretty much figured out it has to be Facebook, but even though I have the latest Facebook version, what the Tech guy kept telling me to find was not on my phone. Which is, app settings. So he said at this point I have to contact Facebook and ask them why I'm not seeing app settings.

9. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

OK I figured it out. On Facebook settings, you scroll all the way down to media and contacts. It's funny that their top Tech Support had no clue, I researched it on Google and tried many people's suggestions and couldn't find app settings. I think it's a little ridiculous that it should be this hard.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The staff at the store are not trained in third party apps or really there to deal with such issues, neither is their tech support since it's a third party app. Randomly auto-playing videos is not the their fault or the fault of the phone, in fact I used the Facebook app on a Galaxy S7 Edge and so do many of my friends and neither I nor they have ever had a video just play randomly when not in the app.

11. bj nick

bj nick Thread Starter

Good for you, you've never had that issue. I did several times, or I wouldn't have posted it. It can be embarrassing when a video just starts playing out of the blue in a public place. As far as their Tech Support, yes you are correct, however, it would have been nice if I didn't spend a 1/2 an hour on the phone with their Tech Support before they said oh, it's facebook's issue. By the way, in researching it online, I found lots of people who have had that same problem.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice