Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

samsung hdd reading lower than should be??

2K views 24 replies 2 participants last post by  verry 
#1 ·
Hey i have already a thread on here but have done what was said, jumper settings and ide placing and still no luck.

I found a samsung hd diagnostic tool, wrote a bootable cd and checked the hard drive (samsung SP0842N). It said everything was ok. but the native (which im guessing is the original size of the drive is 76319mb and the curent size is 38165mb. i have the jumpers in the wright place. is this a format error or a broken hdd?

#5 ·
Have you looked into Disk Management to see what it shows for this problem drive?

If it is an 80-Gog drive, I would expect to see a 40-Gig partition and 40 Gigs of unallocated space. What do you see?

Start> Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Computer Management> Disk Management

#8 ·
Then the solution is simple. Copy any important data to a backup device and use Disk Management to delete the current partition so that the entire drive is unallocated. Then create a new partition that is the full capacity of the drive.

The other alternative would be to leave that partition as is and create another in the unallocated space. The separate partitions would then appear as separate drive letters in My Computer.

#20 ·
From the drive's user manual:

Symptom: Although my drive is bigger than 32GB and Disk Management recognize the hard drive, it is only shown as 32 GB.

Solution: There are two ways for setting jumpers. One is the general jumper setting for recognizing the drive's own capacity, the other is the 32GB clip jumper setting for recognizing only 32GB capacity whatever the real capacity is.It seems that you have set the 32GB clip jumper.

I was going to upload a screen-shot of the section of the manual that shows the 32-gigabyte clip setting; but, I'm getting an error message from TechGuy the attachment page is not found. Click on the above link to access the manual in Adobe Reader format.

#25 ·
ok definatly not a jumper problem. and ive tryed it on my working computer (this one) which i usually have a 80 and 40 gig slave running fine. same problem tho. i just tryed (recover native size) on estool which is a boot tool. it came up with error: abort command.

any other thoughts you have about it would be muchley appericated.

thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.