1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung laptop can't find the newest drivers for vista

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gameman, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I am trying to help a friend remotely who is having problems with her Samsung NP-QX410-S02US laptop. Everything works fine except certain games which refuse to run. The stats say it should be able to handle these without a problem so i suspect it is a corrupt driver (or buggy) one. It is running vista but when I check the downloads page ( http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/NP-QX410-S02US ) it only offers XP or Win 7 and the windows 7 versions don't run. Usually such drivers are vista/7 but apparently these are not.

Any ideas? I thought of having her try the XP drivers but of course don't want to cause her greater issues so I thought I would ask here and see if anyone else has ran into this.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    This laptop has nVidia Optimus graphics; it uses Intel graphics when there's no need for the more powerful nVidia graphics and switches to the nVidia when more power is needed. The thing with this is that it only works with Windows 7, how or why is Windows Vista installed on this laptop?

Enter the BIOS and disable the Optimus graphics so that the nVidia graphics are always on. Then install either the latest drivers from Samsung's website or try the very latest driver from www.nvidia.com

3. gameman

gameman Thread Starter

You know I was wondering about Vista when looking at the driver offerings on Samsung's website, and I did know it had Otimus/switching graphics however I didn't realize it only worked with Windows 7. How or why Vista is there I do not know, I am in the process of trying to find this out (and actually asked about the OS just after I posted).

And thanks for the BIOS idea, I didn't think of having that disabled there (although I was wondering if the graphics switching was the issue...but assumed it was due to corrupted drivers). Installing the lastest drivers from Samsung's website is not a option since they are Windows 7. But Nvidia might be possible (hopefully it works).

Thanks for the assist.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Vista/7 drivers from nVidia are one and the same unless Samsung has done something odd. It may not have been installing due to Optimus being turned on.

I think you should see if they have the recovery media for the laptop or see if the laptop has a recovery partition and restore it back to Windows 7 IF it came with Windows 7, then it should work better.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice