1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung laptop mousepad is too sensitive!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by tricon7, Mar 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

My Samsung laptop's mousepad is so sensitive that I can just barely brush against it and it takes me to who-knows-where, and it's extremely aggravating. I can't find anywhere in the mouse settings to adjust the mousepad - just the mouse pointer and hardware.

Is there a place to fix this kind of problem?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

You need to adjust the "pointer speed" which you should find under the Pointer Options tab in Mouse properties via the Control Panel.

Alternatively go to the PC's manufacturer's site and look up the drivers for your PC. You should find driver software for the touchpad, this may add further adjustment options if they are missing.

3. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

Why would adjusting the pointer speed make any difference with the mousepad sensitivity? I don't have any problem with how fast the pointer moves.

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Try it and see. If that does not do the job for you then check you have the touchpad software installed.

5. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

I tried that, as well as unchecking "enhance pointer precision," but it didn't seem to help. I find that if I even lightly brush against the mousepad, it seems to do crazy stuff and go to places and do things I didn't want it to do. I'm sure there's some logical reason why it's doing it, but I can't find out how to make it stop yet.

6. Mark1956

Mark1956

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers and re-installing them from the manufacturer's site.

7. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

My drivers appear to be up-to-date.

Another aggravating feature is that if I even brush my palm against the mousepad, it'll move my cursor from where I'm currently typing to wherever it happens to be on the screen - which is never where I'm typing or pointing at that moment. It can play havoc if one is typing or filling out a form, etc.

8. Mark1956

Mark1956

Brushing against the touchpad when typing is one of the major drawbacks of touchpads.

I personally never use them and prefer the ease of use of a wireless mouse.

The drivers for the mouse may be up to date but I was suggesting you reinstall them just to be sure the driver is not damaged.

Has this problem only just started to happen or has it been like it is since you purchased the laptop?

9. tricon7

tricon7 Thread Starter

It just started. I had to re-install the OS from a friend's disk (I lost mine). It's been crazy sensitive since then. Even a light brush against the mousepad will move the cursor all over the place.

10. Mark1956

Mark1956

Now we are getting somewhere. I'd suspect the disc you borrowed was a retail Windows disc, this will not have all the required drivers specific to your PC. That will be why the touchpad is not performing correctly as it will be running on generic drivers.

You need to get the software for the touchpad which will give you full control of all the settings for sensitivity, etc. The software will include the drivers with it, so download and install the whole package from the manufacturer's site.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1046424

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice