1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung Laptop Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CyBerris, Apr 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CyBerris

CyBerris Thread Starter

I have a samsung laptop, NP-QX410. It's about 3 years old now, and has for the most part worked great for those 3 years.

I'm extremely uneducated when it comes to computers, so you'll have to bare with me.
    Beginning yesterday, the laptop just about locked up (When I say locked up, I mean went incredibly slow. I couldn't use the internet, couldn't open programs, things I had open would stop responding). I had been using it for about 2 hours prior, and nothing had happened to it to cause it to lock up (such as damage) and I hadn't downloaded any programs. Even trying to open the control panel with control alt delete was taking a long time. I decide to simply restart the laptop, but the problem still continues when it's turned back on.
    It wasn't completely locked up though which was the weird part. It would have these "moments" where it would lock up, and go incredibly slow for about 5 minutes, then work perfectly normal for the next 5 minutes. Sometimes opening a webpage would cause one of these "lock ups" and then closing it would somehow fix it.
    After looking around a bit, I've noticed a correlation where whenever the laptop goes into a phase where it goes incredibly slow, the disk activity shows "100% Highest Active Time". Then when it goes back to normal, the disk activity drops to anywhere from 0%-15% (where it probably should be). The CPU usage and physical memory usage are still fine and don't seem to change.
    I ran a virus scan (Norton, I know it's not the best) but it didn't find anything besides cookies which didn't fix the problem.

The next problem came when I tried turning on the laptop this morning,and it was stuck at the samsung loading screen. That is the screen that appears the first second after turning on the laptop (Where it says press f2 for settings and f4 for something else). After trying to press f4 and f2, nothing happened and it seemed as if it were frozen. I tried restarting it a few times, and the same thing continued to happen. After waiting a few hours, I turned on the laptop and it booted up perfectly normal, however the "lock ups" or incredibly slow downs are continuing to happen. I'm going to try not to shut off the laptop for right now to ensure it doesn't get stuck at the Samsung screen again.

Right now I have almost no idea what is happening. There has to be some sort of hardware problem or something.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. dai

dai

check the temperatures

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

if it comes up clear run

chkdsk /f

next time it slows down open the task manager and see what is pulling the highest %

check air vents are not clogged

3. CyBerris

CyBerris Thread Starter

It doesn't seem to be over heating or anything, and I tried spraying air through the laptop, but that did not help.
    When I downloaded the diagnostic, it wasn't running when I hit run... And the thing with the highest % is definitely the Disk activity. The CPU stays pretty constant under 20% and physical memory stays at 46%

I also got a warning saying to replace my hard drive and I should backup my files ... Seems pretty obvious what happened now. This came up right after.
    I'd like some confirmation that replacing the hard drive would be the best solution, as I have no idea.
    [​IMG]

4. dai

dai

your hard drive has failed you need to replace it

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1096540

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice