1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung laptop refuses to boot from a non-stock source

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boomers rule, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boomers rule

boomers rule Thread Starter

Hello. I'm experiencing a problem I've yet to experience on any other device till now.

I bought a Samsung notebook recently and it's a wonderful machine. The only problem is that it refuses to boot from anything other than the pre-loaded Windows 8. I've burned another operating system to a disk on the same computer. It was not detected in the boot menu. However I tried the same thing with a flash drive and it was displayed in the boot menu although it refused to load and instead proceeded to boot Windows 8.

I was thinking of going as far as shrinking the primary partition and creating a new one to see if anything changes, or even uninstalling the pre-loaded Windows 8 to see if it will let me do anything. If anyone has experienced this problem before please tell me what you did. . .

Also I didn't know if this was the right sub-forum to post this topic in.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS or switch the UEFI/BIOS mode to Legacy/BIOS to allow booting from other media.

3. boomers rule

Wow. Thank you. I feel so dumb for missing that.

4. boomers rule

Now I've ran into another problem; I've used the partition manager tool to create an empty space on the hard drive to install the operating system onto, though when I was prompted to enter a selected area to install the operating system onto, the only option displayed was my whole hard drive space (included the empty space within it). What should I do about that now?

[This is taking place in the Windows XP system install.]

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Installing older operating systems first is never a good idea. You may want to see if you can find a guide online from someone who has done this. You should also make sure that there are drivers available for the hardware for Windows XP. Windows XP is now pretty old and certain hardware doesn't have drivers at all under it nor does it support new hardware very well.

6. boomers rule

Originally I tried a Linux distro and it experienced a similar problem when installing. What do I do now?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you have Windows 8 Pro by chance? If so you can run these other operating systems in a Virtual Environment called HyperV. Or you can use VirtualBox or VMWare do to the same thing.

8. boomers rule

I was hoping to not have to resort to such a measure. If it's my only option, I will not bother with it. I have several operating systems installed on the desktop to use if I need to.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you had a Windows 8 installation disc then you could wipe out the whole drive and install the operating systems oldest to newest. I'm still wondering even how well Windows XP would work on this laptop though.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice