1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung Laptop shutting off when GPU is taxed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SingedEyeballs, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SingedEyeballs

SingedEyeballs Thread Starter

System model: NP900X4D, Windows 7 professional 64 bit

Problem:
    Laptop powers off randomly without any warning while in games or under GPU stress.

Troubleshooting:

• Using Samsung Recovery Solution 5, I reset the machine to factory defaults and used Samsung Update and Windows Update to get the system up and running again.
    • Ran Furmark and the CPU burner that comes with it; power off within 3 seconds of running GPU stress test and no problems with CPU burner.
    • Completely disassembled and cleaned laptop to rule out dust and re-applied thermal paste (Arctic MX-2).
    • CPU idle/full load: 55-60C / 87-92C
    • Tested with multiple games including Borderlands, World of Tanks, and RIFT. Power off behavior is different between the games, but it still eventually happens unpredictably.

I should also point out that the warranty has most likely expired, and even if it hasn't i'd like to consider that option a last resort.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and helping me with this issue. Gaming is a huge part of my life, so not being able to do so is really rough. :(

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Assuming you cleaned and re-assembled the laptop properly I can't think of anything more you could do yourself. I would check if it's still under warranty and if it is send it for repair.

3. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

I'm not familiar with the internal fan(s) on a Samsung laptop, but I have open up a few other laptops and have been somewhat amazed on how clean the fan looks from the outside. Although, once I open up the housing of the fan I get a different story.

Not sure if this may apply or not.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice