1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung laser printer CLP-315

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by primrozie, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. primrozie

primrozie Thread Starter

My son gave me this printer that he purchased used. I downloaded all the latest drivers for Vista which I unfortunately have on a Toshiba Satelite laptop.
    When I try to print it prompts me to "print to file" and add a file name. I can't get it to actually print! Please help.

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sounds like you are printing to the wrong 'printer' such as the XPS or OneNote virtual printer rather than the actual Samsung, hence why it's asking to save the file. Does the Samsung printer show up in Printers on the Control Panel? Have you right clicked and set it as the default printer? In the programs you are printing from did you select the correct Samsung printer?

3. primrozie

primrozie Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply. I was able to set the Samsung as my default when I went in through the control panel and my graphic software (Printshop Publisher) selected it. I did not select print to file but the choice was offered with a blank box for me to check, but I did not select it. It did it anyway without being selected. Later, and after I posted this question, I continued to play with it and trying to copy a Word document I received a message that I should have written down and didn't ~ sorry ~ that made me think something was wrong with the power cord. By that time I was ready to take my husband's rubber mallet that was sitting on the desk and and whack it until unrecognizable.
    Two hours of this insanity. I suppose I could recreate the event and record the actual message. The mallet has since been put away.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Exact error message are indeed helpful and the first step to diagnosing issues. Have you tried printing a test page from the properties in the Printers control panel?

5. primrozie

primrozie Thread Starter

I got as far as the test page and the message was to turn the printer on. It couldn't print a test page. I guess there's something wrong with the printer. I have the right drivers and it's on port 1.

Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What does Port 1 mean? LPT1? USB Port 1? It's more likely the configuration or drivers than the printer itself.

7. primrozie

primrozie Thread Starter

That was usb port 1.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Delete/Remove the printer from Printers, unplug the printer from the computer, then plug it back in. Windows should automatically detect it and install it using the drivers you've installed.

9. primrozie

primrozie Thread Starter

I have two laptops. A Toshiba that is awesome for watching movies and listening to music that I also use different graphics software for scrapbooking on. I started the printer installation on it. When I encountered all the problems I went to my IBM Thinkpad and did the whole thing over again on it. Everything was unplugged and transfered to IBM and I even changed power cords to different outlets. Same results.
    I just had a friend come in and take a look at it today and he says it is the power supply. He found one for $30.00 online and says he can fix it. It should be here friday. I've only got a $50.00 investment into it by replacing a toner cartridge so I think i'll do it. Of coarse I'll start saving for a new one. I'll post the repair results. Thanks for your help.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    So the printer doesn't even turn on? No lights on it?

11. primrozie

primrozie Thread Starter

The lights came on but didn't stay on. It also made a sound like it was turning on. I thought it was on. Anyway, the power supply is in and printer is working.
    Thanks so much for your help.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Glad to hear, and that makes sense if the printer wasn't powering on properly that it would install or print successfully.

13. primrozie

primrozie Thread Starter

I wish I would have realized it wasn't staying on! Sorry about that. Thanks again for your help.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1112029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice