1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung LCD Flickers.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scorned, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scorned

scorned Thread Starter

Hey everyone, thanks for caring about others problems, appreciate it...

But anyways I have a Samsung SyncMaster 204B... really nice monitor and it has worked awesome for the year that I have had it. But well recently it's started having little problems and they are slowly getting worse. at first the monitor would just randomly "restart itself" and it wasn't too big of a problem, but after a while whenever I would turn it on after it being off for a while, it would flicker for a few seconds and was a little dim, then it would work itself out and be fine. Today it was a lot worse with the monitor flickering as well as flashing on and off... I'm sure monitors aren't easily repaired. I'm wondering what could be causing this. I know it is newish technology and that they only last about 5 years (true?) but I really don't think i should be seeing problems like this so soon. Anyways thanks for any help!

2. SB305

SB305

Quick suggestion: You've doubtless already done this, but check the power lead, particularly where it plugs into the power adapter if the monitor uses one, as well as into the monitor itself. Also check the monitor cable. I had problems with two TFT monitors a couple of years back and both resulted from the awkward and flimsy cable connector at the monitor end.
    Alternatively, it may be that the backlight is failing.
    If you go to Samsung's support website you should find some useful information.

3. scorned

scorned Thread Starter

Well, I got Samsung to replace the monitor and now it does not flicker. However it still restarts periodically :confused:

4. SB305

SB305

They replaced it with a brand new one?
    Are you using the motherboard's integrated graphics or a separate graphics card?

5. scorned

scorned Thread Starter

Well, refurbished... But anyways, I am using a BFG Tech GeForce 7950GT... I found out through a small experiment that the problem goes away if my resolution is 1280 by 1024 pixels... Any ideas with that information? I updated my drivers on my video card... also I noticed that when it's at my usual resolution 1600by1200 it also has green specks that flash all over the screen, i can't remember what that is called though.

6. SB305

SB305

The specifications for the monitor which I very briefly Googled quoted its maximum resolution at 1600x1200/60Hz. Obviously, your manual will give greater detail. Are you, by any chance trying to run it at more than 60Hz?
    Does it have an "auto" button to configure itself automatically?
    Finally, silly question, but are you using the DVI to DVI cable that came with the monitor?

7. scorned

scorned Thread Starter

Nah i always ran it at 1600 by 1200 and 60 hertz. It has a button to auto configure but it says Auto Adjustment not available when you push it. Yes i am using the dvi cable (white ends correct?)

8. SB305

SB305

Considering that the original worked problem-free for a year, I can think of only three further possibilities:
    a) the refurbished monitor is faulty;
    b) the graphics card is faulty; or
    c) your power supply is failing.
    In the case of b), if your mobo has integrated graphics which are capable of running the monitor at full specification and you want to go to the hassle of changing from external to internal graphics, that's an option to try.
    Have you run dxdiag and, if so, were all tests passed?
    Finally, it's possible that Samsung has drivers for the monitor but, since you never needed them previously, that's a forlorn hope.
    Good luck! (y)

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I have twin Samsung 204B’s .. I love them and they make more sense to me than a widescreen.
    I sure don’t like reading about your problem … I’d hate to have to try to find a replacement.

Not sure about “Auto adjust not available” … I only run mine at 1024x768.
    But if you hold down the menu button for more that 5 seconds … It will lock (or unlock) the OSD.
    One of mine got locked up ... for some unknown reason.
    Took me awhile to figure out why it suddenly didn't look right.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice