1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung R40 laptop crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meg1, Nov 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meg1

meg1 Thread Starter

I have the following laptop & spec:
    Samsung R40, Windows Vista home premium, SP2.
    Intel CPU 1.60ghz,1.00gb ram, 32 bit operating system.

About a year after buying the laptop I started getting crashes, where the laptop would literally freeze whatever its doing and the only way to get out was to overide the shutdown by the power button.

I spoke to a microsoft tech about this as it was recording the errors as BCcode 54 and he pointed to a possible hardware error/motherboard problem. However the problem then stopped occurring but has been occurring sporadically. It seems to be when i view videos, have alot open but recently it has started crashing with just microsoft office open (frustrating with work).

I was hoping to get a few suggestions on what to do... ??or if XP would rectify this. I have no record of the recent errors as the laptop is not picking them/recording them.
    Many thanks,

2. computerguy1990

computerguy1990

I had a similar problem when I had vista on my laptop, it would crash and cause a blue screen telling me there was a problem with my ram, so I switched back to xp pro and have never had a problem since, sounds to me like a ram problem but im not entirely sure.

3. meg1

meg1 Thread Starter

recently installed xp and its been running fine for a day or two now. The crashes with vista were getting ridiculous and could be up to 3 a day.
    With xp i have had a few moments where the cursor freezes and the laptop appears to be thinking something but then it will resume normal use. Im hoping to get more memory soon.

Will post again if xp crashes as before as otherwise i may have a hardware issue and upgrading to windows 7 will be pointless.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/878219

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice