1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung R540 laptop won't start up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by x-ray, Apr 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. x-ray

x-ray Thread Starter

I'm trying to help my tenant with her laptop. She does not have an installation disc; she threw everything that came with the laptop away. :rolleyes:

After turning the power button on, the screen blinks from a Samsung splash screen (and in the right hand corner it says "F2 for Setup F4 for Recovery) to a blue screen and then a black screen.

If I click on F2 or F4, nothing happens.

Help with what to do would be appreciated.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

I think she will need the recovery DVD that came with the laptop

3. Megabite

Megabite

If you keep tapping F4 on startup it should get you to the screen but you will need a Disc.

4. x-ray

x-ray Thread Starter

Is there somewhere online that I can download a disc?

5. Megabite

Megabite

Just read some stuff on the Samsung site you may not need a disc, but if your tapping F4 on startup and nothing happens then the backup partition on that drive may have been deleted or damaged.

It could be the Hard drive maybe faulty also and or the power supply (not Likely though)

6. x-ray

x-ray Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with Samsung. They told me they would send me a recovery disc for free- all I have to do was read them off the serial number off the back. Unfortunately, the black Samsung sticker where he told me I should find the serial number did not have a serial number on it.

My tenant bought it at Best Buy and the tech support guy told me to tell her to call them and they should have that information. Right now the rest is in her hands until I get the recovery disc.

Thanks for the help. :)

7. Megabite

Megabite

Understood......bet she never did a backup :rolleyes:

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You might be able to get the serial number by booting a live linux disk/usb stick and running this command in a terminal window :-

Code:
    dmidecode -s system-serial-number
    It worked for me on a Toshiba laptop. I used Puppy linux.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1123864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice