Solved Samsung S9+: require pin only on restart?

bj nick

I like having a PIN + face recognition on the phone in case it got lost or stolen, so no one could get access data/email/etc. However I don't want it to require the $%$#@ PIN every time it "wakes" from sitting idle for a couple of minutes....which means I'm entering the PIN 50 times a day at least. Is there a way to set it so that it requires a PIN/face ONLY on restart? Thanks!

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
I like having a PIN + face recognition on the phone in case it got lost or stolen, so no one could get access data/email/etc. However I don't want it to require the $%$#@ PIN every time it "wakes" from sitting idle for a couple of minutes....which means I'm entering the PIN 50 times a day at least. Is there a way to set it so that it requires a PIN/face ONLY on restart? Thanks!
The timeout is doing what it's meant to do, as well as the unlocking. As plodr mentioned you can change the timout value or disable it.

bj nick

Lock screen has 2 settings: enable or disable. You can't selectively say I want it locked for this but not for that.

Change the screen timeout for a longer period
https://www.bestusefultips.com/how-to-set-screen-timeout-android-9-pie/
Thanks, I know how to extend the length of the timeout; that's not what I need. There is a huge difference between the phone in a screen timeout, and restarting it / powering it on. If I can't differentiate between the two with the security function, it's a waste of time. This is another of those times when I wish I could speak with the engineers who set it up in the first place. Ridiculous.

I do thank you for responding. Appreciated.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
To confirm, you want the the PIN/FR to happen only when you turn on/restart your phone, and not when it goes to the lock screen after x amount of idle?

bj nick

Correct. I don't need security when I'm using the phone normally......I want to protect myself from a scenario where the phone is lost/stolen.....chances are in that scenario the phone will have shut down by then.....OR.....I just had a flash of insight: If I'm in any sort of public place, when someone snags the phone it would likely be either "on" or in lock screen mode....in which case it does make perfect sense as a security safeguard.....I think of all the people sitting in Starbucks or any public place (during normal times). So I don't know.....maybe I'm wrong here.

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
Correct. I don't need security when I'm using the phone normally......I want to protect myself from a scenario where the phone is lost/stolen.....
That is why you have a time out, to lock the phone if you don't do it manually. Just like a work computer, you should always lock it when you step away from it, to prevent anyone else from trying to use it. A screen saver will lock after x amount of time.

If you for some reason have your phone taken from you, the idle/lock should prevent anyone trying to use it.

What you are basically saying is that you want to turn of the idle / lock, which should be an option, but not recommended... you are really making your phone less secure.

you could turn it off and on when you want it, but again, you are really not making use of the security features, including the facial recognition.

bj nick

Yeah......now that I've thought it through, I see your point........I'll just set it for a longer period between timeouts. I was thinking of battery life, but hey, I'm really big on understanding that there are trade-offs in life, and here's a great example. Thanks!

First Name
Liz
If you are concerned about battery life, stock up on a few external power packs.
I have two 6,000 mAh which I used recently to recharge android tablets.
I have one 3,350 mAh that cost $5 at Target. They were in the cheap section in the front of the store; probably close outs. I use that for my phone and mp3 players.

Now I see Target has 4,000 mAh power packs for $10.

bj nick

I have TONS of portable chargers...not the issue! It's that I find it annoying to have to enter my $%$%! passcode every few minutes when the phone is just sitting there. But as people have pointed out, that's the trade-off: if I left the phone unattended for a minute at a Starbucks or something and somebody grabbed it, I WANT that requirement there. So I'm going to mark this resolved; it's just a trade-off and I'll live with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online