1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung SH182M Drive not reading blank dvd's

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by jimmyh18, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmyh18

jimmyh18 Thread Starter

Hi Guys,

Ok here's the issue i have the Samsung SH182M using AVS video Tools 5 along with Nero 7 every now and again with an O/s of XP SP2 pro. The issue that has a risen is that my Samsung Drive will not read blank DVD's of any format and purely reads them as blank cd's. I have tried every available combination which is supported by the drive, so R -/+ RW -/+.

When i put a blank DVD in my autoplay comes up with the blank CD options. SO i check the drive and i get Blank Cd with no space to burn on, and yes they were DVD's. Now i've been through the usual steps of reinstalling/updating drivers/ Firmware. I switched the burner from master to slave with my DVD reader as Master no luck.. So i thought ok its the drive i borrowed another DVD writer of a friend and had the same problem with his drive in my computer. My drive in his computer on the other hand worker a treat. What am i doing wrong, have i missed, what further info do you require. Oh prior to the disk going in on my computer the Drive reads DVD - RAM then with the disk in it reads CD drive. Any help would be great i can't think of anything else.

Thanks

Jimmyh18

2. jimmyh18

jimmyh18 Thread Starter

Since posting this message i have rebuilt my computer with totally new mother board (ASUS SLI Delux) processor (AMD6000) graphics card, NEW Western Digital HDD, fresh windows install XP SP2 and even a lovely new case and the only remaining feature is the DVD writer. I've subsequently borrowed an external DVD writer which again only reads blank DVD's as blank CD's i have tried several makes of disk Memorex DVD - R, Kodak DVD +RW, Sony DVD + R, Imittaion DVD -R. The disks don't appear to be the issue as they work on other writers but not mine.

Just to recap my Samsung SH182M reads blank DVD's as blank CD's. It does read games pre recoreded DVD's ie Films, it reads dvd burnt on other machines and it reads all sorts of CD's. Wen i insert a a blank DVD of any kind the drive instantly turns from a DVD RAM into a cd drive on My computer. Any help anyone could suggest would be great.

Jimmyh18

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice