1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung SP2014N problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gingercat, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gingercat

Gingercat Thread Starter

Hey guys.
    This HDD is acting up; either that or it's the external USB drive bay it's in. The situation is this:

Turn on the drive bay, all its lights come on just fine, but the drive itself emits five buzzes in a repeating pattern (about 1/3 of a second between each buzz). This happened after I simply turned off the drive bay and moved it from one room to another. This happens whether the USB cable is plugged in or not.

Does anyone know what this 5-buzz emission by the drive means?

Buzz-buzz-buzz-buzz-buzz (2 second pause) (repeats buzz pattern) (2 second pause) etc etc.

My major question is, is it likely to be the drive itself that's chucked a major wobbly, or would it simply be the drive bay that's doing something stupid like supplying incorrect power?

I don't have a desktop PC to chuck it in to test this theory, as I'm out of town for training and only have a laptop (and naturally, all my important stuff is stored on that drive). I could probably get a new drive bay, but if this is the drive's way of telling me "I'm stuffed", then there's not a whole lot of point. This also occurs when it's just the power from the drive bay plugged in, and not the IDE cable.

Any ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice