Samsung SyncMaster 915n Gaming LCD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Doom_Machine

3 weeks ago i recieved my 915n gaming lcd monitor from www.newegg.com for a total of about $364 including shipping.
The 915n is a 19 inch 8ms gaming lcd monitor which is oddly cheap and appears to be one of the fastest lcd's available. Apparantly this is done by increasing the voltage to the pixels. After running some pixel tests i had only 1 dead pixel which isnt too bad at all as it is very difficult for companies to create lcd's with no dead pixels. Some will no doubt either recieve one with 0 or 1 dead pixel up to an average of 6 but you must have at least 8 or more to beable to return it for another. When i first recieved it i had several stuck pixels which was easily fixed by running a pixel buster program which flashes colors really fast, theres also a website for this too but i cant recall, however a search on google will yield results.
The monitor is sleek black and has 6 buttons on it for menu/contrast...etc as well as an auto button which will auto adjust all the settings for the monitor and it works quite well. The lcd also comes packaged with a software bundle including drivers to allow for quick changes to settings and some advanced optimizing software, by default the images are a tad dark so some careful tweaking may be in order for some. Powered off the screen is a nice deep flat black just like the enclosure and looks quite nice on a black pc desk.
I dont have enough visual experience with lcd's to make good comparisons but compared to my Nec crt 19 inch the images are crisp yet somehow looked different and i couldnt put my finger on what exactly but it took some getting used to and now i cant even remember how my old crt looked.
For gaming this lcd looks really good, there is of course some slight bluring in movement but its negligible and not nearly as noticable in slower 16ms and up lcd's. I'd say the blurring in fast scrolling text is the most noticable bad effect of this lcd. Splinter Cell: chaos theory is a very dark game and it is noticable darker with this monitor than my CRT so some gamma adjustment was necessary however gave the darkness too much of a glowing look.
The resolution is 1280 maximum which works fine for me, i never noticed that much of a difference using 1600 in games but it is nice if you can go that high, the screensaver SimAquarium at 1600 res comes to mind and is immensely crisp.
Overall this is a great monitor for the price and most gamers out there will find it quite adequate, however if your a dead serious visual junkie then its likely no lcd would suit. Also remember you can't use those 3d shutter glasses with lcd's either but the technology to integrate 3d stereo on lcd without glasses is out there but just hasnt taken off yet.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online