Samsung TV unable to connect to network

casarosa14

My Samsung TV UE37ES6710 series has stopped connecting to the internet after a couple of trouble-free years. I have tried numerous solutions - resetting the TV, resetting the Smart Hub, unplugging the TV, unplugging/restarting the router, putting in different DNS settings - all to no avail. The TV sees the wireless networks, checks the connection, then says it cannot connect to the internet. All I get is the MAC number, but no IP settings automatically (I have tried setting them manually, but with the same result - no connection). I have contacted Samsung support who have suggested I download the latest firmware via a USB flash drive which I am going to do but as the TV is 2009 vintage I am not sure if this will work as the latest firmware is 2010.
It was suggested that the Wifi card may need replacing but unable to find a replacement card. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I live in the UK. Thank you.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I also recently suffered the same behavior with one of my Samsung Smart TVs. It's an old model. Thus far I have not been able to figure out why I'm having connection problems. This TV was at my primary home and moved to my vacation home on a different wireless setup. I brought the TV back this past weekend and it was able to connect to my wireless system at my primary home. I've also had some weird issues with a TCL TV at my vacation home where I had to manually set the operating channel number for the 5GHz radio.

I plan on changing the wireless system out there to one using a physical wireless controller utilizing the same APs and see where things go. I say this as so far all indications point to some sort of wireless hardware issue. I don't know if this is your issue. You may want to see if there is an updated firmware for the wireless router you're using.

Couriant

James
Does your TV have an Ethernet port and if so is the router close by?

Edit: I didn't see you added the model number. So this does have an Ethernet port... if the router is in a different location, then perhaps using Powerline adapter to connect via Ethernet may be an easier solution.

casarosa14

Does your TV have an Ethernet port and if so is the router close by?

Edit: I didn't see you added the model number. So this does have an Ethernet port... if the router is in a different location, then perhaps using Powerline adapter to connect via Ethernet may be an easier solution.
Hi James, thanks for the message. No, the router is not nearby the television. However the wi-fi signal is good in the room the TV is situated as my Mac and Iphone get a good signal there. I could move the TV close to the router and connect the two with a cable to see if the TV will connect directly. Do you think that maybe worth doing? It would be difficult to make this a permanent arrangement. Could you tell me which cable I would need to do this? Neil

Couriant

James
If you can do it easily enough, I would say try that to confirm if the wireless component is bad, or the whole networking component.

Couriant

James
For testing, remove the security information from your wifi.
This would also be a good idea :) If you have a guest network on your wireless connection, turn that on temporarily with no security and see if your TV can connect to that.

casarosa14

If you can do it easily enough, I would say try that to confirm if the wireless component is bad, or the whole networking component.
Hi, I have updated the firmware in the TV from USB. Initially it seemed better and I managed to load Netflix but then it returned to the old problem of recognising the network but not allowing me to configure it. The network configuration screen disappeared. I then moved the TV near to the router and connected it directly using a LAN cable. Same problem - it recognised the router but when I tried to configure it the menu screen disappeared. So I think it's not the wi-fi component. Can't think of any more I can do except call in a TV Engineer or buy a new TV.

Couriant

James
To confirm, you did a factory reset? If so, then it seems that the software of the TV is not working as it should.

casarosa14

To confirm, you did a factory reset? If so, then it seems that the software of the TV is not working as it should.
Yes, I have done a factory reset but the problem remains. It's strange, when I go into network settings from the menu and search networks, it finds my main router and also my network extender, but when I try to select one of them the page disappears and reverts back to the normal TV screen. This also happened when I directly connected the TV to the main router. I have run diagnostics on the router which passed. The TV works fine with a good picture connected to the satellite but cannot access the Smart apps. Having said that I have a Google Chromecast connected to the TV so I can cast Netfix, Amazon Prime Video etc to the TV from my MAC.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online