1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Samsung X15 plus laptop - Graphics card probs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kev.b, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kev.b

kev.b Thread Starter

Hi there,
    I would be extremely grateful if anyone familiar with the Samsung X15 plus model knows the type of graphics card that is in this laptop. i.e. is it a built in job (integrated) and part of the motherboard or is it one that is replaceable (Discrete).

I think it has a intel 855gm chipset (which i thought has built in graphics - the extreme one). But i am also pretty sure that it has the Nvidia 64mb GeForce FX Go 5200 card.

I ask because i recently aquired this laptop from my uncle and he said that he was using it one day and the machine just cut out. When he rebooted it the laptop had thick, flashing black vertical lines on it. You can see the windows log on page and desktop behind them. He took it to a shop and they did not look at it but suggested it could be graphics card.

It has been connected to an external crt monitor and it still has the same problem. I am going to have a go at removing/reinstalling chipset and graphics driver but just wondered if anyone knew the graphic card situation.

Also if it does turn out to be the graphics card that is buggered and its integrated, i wondered what my options can be. Try and get a new motherboard? Anyone know rough price?. Laptop is about 18months old and so i would like to keep and use it.

Many thanks. Kevin

2. kev.b

kev.b Thread Starter

Hi, i have taken 3 pics of the problem (not good quality though-with mobile). Just to give you an idea of the nightmare problem (just click the links below):
    1. Pic 1 = This shows the start up screen:
    http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m308/048957/samsung_screenpic1.jpg

2. Pic 2 = This shows the welcome screen:
    http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m308/048957/samsung_screenpic2.jpg

3. Pic 3= This shows the desktop:
    http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m308/048957/samsung_screenpic3.jpg

As you can see from the pics, there are thick vertical lines throughout, from start up until desktop. They flash as well which is quite irritating and even more so when you move the pointer.

So, anyway, i would be grateful if anyone could tell me if they think it is the graphics card that is not working and whether the Samsung X15 plus has an integrated or seperate graphics card (if this is the problem). If integrated then what are my options? and if seperate, can i simply get hold of another one and replace it.

If no one can get back to me, or knows then i may try another forum and if i get a response i'l post it on here.
    Many thanks. Kevin

3. kev.b

kev.b Thread Starter

In case anyone is interested, the Samsung X15 plus does have a intergrated graphics card. heres a pic of it on the motherboard:
    [​IMG]

I guess it means replace motherboard or new laptop. Hope this helps anyone in same situation.

Kevin

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/563180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice