Sandisk 64gb micro sdxc card not formatting.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

psiikj4k

Hello! I've encountered an odd problem with my micro SD card lately, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

I've used this SD card for about three years now, I use it on my mobile device for extra storage space. But overnight, my phone stopped recognizing it. I managed to get it open on my laptop (specs at the bottom of post) and none of the data on it seemed corrupted at all, I was able to transfer everything onto my laptop and I intended to format the SD card to see if it would be recognized on my phone again. However, every program I've tried has failed to format the SD card. I tried File Explorer, Windows Disk Manager, SD Card Formatter, and none of them worked. The only error message they'd give was essentially "unable to format this SD card" with no error codes or anything. I tried putting it in my phone and tablet to try and format it through there, but it also failed, staying stuck at 20% until finally saying that it couldn't format.

Is there anything I can still do?

Phone and tablet both Android 10

Laptop specs
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20201006233034.000000-180
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5005U CPU @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 917 GB (426 GB Free); E: 0 GB (0 GB Free);
Motherboard: SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. NP370E4K-KW4BR, ver SGL8663A03-C01-G001-S0001+10.0.10586, s/n 123490EN400015
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver SECCSD - 1072009, s/n 06NB9QAH900117
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

psiikj4k

Since you got your files off and the card has a 5 year warranty
Source: https://kb.sandisk.com/app/warranty/a_id/22478
Contact SanDisk and ask what you need to do to get a replacement. I found a page that describes what you need
https://kb.sandisk.com/app/rmaform

(I save the sale slip and outer cardboard in case I have to return something.)
Thank you for the suggestion, but I should have specified that I was not the one who bought the SD card, it was given to me, and I am not in the country where it was purchased. I don't have any part of the packaging or receipts.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
When you connect the card to the PC are you using the original (genuine) adapter?
Is the switch on the adapter in the up (write) position?
Have you tried diskpart to clean the drive?
Right click start>Powershell with admin & enter
diskpart
list disk
select disk X (where X is the number of the SD card)
Clean

Then you should be able to initialise the drive & insert it into the Phone to format it.
If it fails then it’s time for a new SD card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts