1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sandisk Cruzer Edge 32 Gig Flashdrive Bent

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vaberella, Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vaberella

vaberella Thread Starter

Brand new Flashdrive no longer working because of physical damage and yet I was told by a company they could retrieve the super important files for me for $375.

Here is a pic of the disk.

[​IMG]

So I put into the computer USB port and it was working fine. I accidentally kneed it and the red back of the flashdrive cracked off but the green part stayed intact except that I do notice these sort of whitish cracks in the green part at the bottom of the chip. Does anyone...know how I can retrieve the data off this? Or even if it's possible. Although this company did assure me it's possible and they are pushed by Sandisk company.

2. valis

valis Moderator

heyya vaberella, I've edited your post for vulgarity.......please remember this is a family-oriented site. :)

thanks,

v

3. vaberella

vaberella Thread Starter

Thanks and sorry Valis...anyway you can help me out with the problem.

4. EvilAzza

EvilAzza

So it doesn't come up in windows in any way shape or form? Tried seeing if having it plugged in and running a data recovery software works at all?

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The actual circuit board is damaged. I'm not sure how a company would recover data from that, but there may be some magic I'm not aware of. Whatever it is, I doubt there's a home-grown method to do it. It's beyond software recovery though. That's significant hardware damage.

I take it you didn't keep backups of your important data?

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It can be possible for a company that specializes in such recovery to read the actual NAND chip or transplant the chip onto a new identical USB drive to access it.

If you are storing the only copy of important data on a flash drive you are massively risking data loss, you should never have only one copy of data especially on such unreliable and easily lost device such as flash drive.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1048111

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice