1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sandisk Cruzer Micro Flash drive dying?????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by src04c, Jun 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. src04c

src04c Thread Starter

I have a sandisk cruzer micro usb flash drive (256mb) that is becoming truly problematic, strike that, nonfunctional. Ive tried this on mutliple machines and operating systems, so i know its a problem witht he flash drive.

The drive is old, about 3 years, and my impression was that these things hardly ever malfuntioned, until mine did, today. When i plug it in, i will usually get, ahrdware need to be installed, then, "there was a problem installing your necesssary hardware..blah bl;ah blah". It basically wont mount as a drive on the system so that i can access the files/drive. It wont function or turn on, anything. I had a feeling it was a problem with the actuall connection to the female USB port. The actual connection part of the drive has had some wear and tear over the years and isnt the most perfectly fitting usb socket anymore, kinda deformed. So when i plug the thing in, (ive done this in the past and it works fine), a little jiggle of the drive, adjustment and careful insertion into the usb port will ensure that the four little copper connectors make contact and the drive is able to turn on/mount so that i can access it on the desktop.

But now its harder and harder to get the thing to work, and when i can get it to mount, the drrive shows that its completely clean, nothing on it, and that there is no room for storage, a filled yet blank drive

ALL i want to do is get the files that were saved on the drive, off of it so i can go buy a new one and transfer them. Is there a method of doing so, a little surgery maybe, im good with hardware and can do most anything but never opened or messed with a usb flash drive. All i want is the info off the drive, if i could just get it to install/mount/turn on/operate correctly for 3 minutes id be exstatic. Any help from anyone would be appreciated, or a simple "sorry buddy it seems you are S.O.L" would be fine, this is a last ditch effort before i abandon all hope, PLEASE!!!!!!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Its is unlikely in the extreme that surgery will be useful.

What whould you do once inside the unit? There is a surface mounted memory chip or chips, a clock interface and pratically nothing else.

The chips have a MTBF (mean time before failure) just as any electronic device does, they are not eternal and some will have premature failures.

While opening it up and using a maginifying glass to look for circuit board fractures would be the only possibility, the chances of seeing them and then the chances of being able to repair the hair-like tracks would be a challenge, if that indeed was the fault.

In short, you have nothing to lose if it will not mount (unless it mounts no data recovery software can find it) but you may be disappointed in the possibilities that result from disassembly. From your description a mechanical issue may indeed be the problem, but the warnings were there and you should have recovered all at the first sign of a problem.

FWIW I have one here that still works after a trip through the washing machine...

3. src04c

src04c Thread Starter

i figured so much on the hardware issue and your recs. I had everything backed up but a webpage directory that i had made at work (space and usage is monitored heavily and i dont want to risk a side job, off the clock for a friend using my work hardware) and was in process of taking home today. Darn thing worked this morning and now it wount friggen mount so i may have to take losing the data all together and completely remaking the page/dir from scratch, sigh :'(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/587769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice