1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sandisk Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive... Where is my F: ????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Uni, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Uni

Uni Thread Starter

Ok, so I've got a new 4 GB flash drive to move all my pics/MP3's, doc's and what not over to, so I can do some formatting. My laptop is a Dell Inspiron B130. I plugged it into my USB port (and I tried both E: and F:, and had the same problem on both) and was able to move my MP3's and pics to it with Windows Media Player. However, I can't see it under "My Computer" so I can move my doc's and games to it. I was able to see it under "Safely Remove Hardware", and it showed up as already installed under "Add Hardware" (which it should! It's Plug and Play, no disc came with it). However, I can't find it anywhere that I can drag and drop files. I've tried right-clicking a file and checking "Send to..." and also "Move Selected Files" but it never gives me the F: or E: option. :confused: In trying to see if I could back the rest up on CD, I started up Sonic DLA. It couldn't read that I had a disc drive at all (which I obviously, do). I've spent 7 hours straight on this, and I'm at the point of wiping the whole 'puter and giving up all my addresses/programs/files. Can anybody give me any advice? Please?

EDIT to add: I forgot to mention that in my device manager, it says the device is working properly

2. randy_california

randy_california

Have you tried rebooting with the flash drive plugged in, and then looking to see if it shows up in My Computer.

3. Uni

Uni Thread Starter

lol, no. As simple as that seems, I haven't tried it yet. Lemme give it a shot....

4. chriscjp

chriscjp

Hello,
    Im a network administrator and also work for a big flash drive distributor: http://shop.amstore.co.uk

I have seen this many times, even with big lacie drives and usb systems in general. It’s a complete pain, but here are some things that you could try…

First, as obvious as it seems, try the drive in another PC. If you get the same problem, then this could well indicate that the flash memory works, but is partially corrupt.
    In my experience however, it probably WILL work on another PC, meaning that you need to head back to your system.

Plug it in, wait for it to initialise, then right click “my computer” in windows explorer and go to manage (win XP), select drives, and you should see a list of all drives on your system. You can then assign the drive a letter e.g. “f” but make sure that the letter is not being used elsewhere.

Exit, and give it another go!

5. Uni

Uni Thread Starter

Thanks, Randy. Rebooting with it plugged in fixed it. However, chriscjp, I tried your suggestion as well and got as far as Managing My Computer, but there was no "drives" to select. I appreciate the help, nonetheless. I still can't believe I didn't try restarting with it plugged in to begin with....

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/613432

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice