1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sane way to install win2000 on severall partitions?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Skypoet, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skypoet

Skypoet Thread Starter

Hi!

I'd like to know if there is a "sane" way to install windows2000 on several hard drives and several partitions on the same computer... Here is what I'd like to do:

HD1 (master):
    *partition1: 30Gigs/Win2000
    *partition2: 30Gigs/Win2000
    *partition3: 30Gigs/Win2000

HD2 (slave):
    *One partition 12Gigs/Win2000

Why all this complication? Well, we are severall people to use the same computer and would like to have one partition/OS installation for each of us, because we use different programs, etc...

I made a first try, it seemed to work, though:
    *on "partition 3", the screen would flicker incessantly (not the same on the other partitions!) and:
    *partition 1 became inaccessible, reported as "unformatted space" by windows, "corrupt/deleted" by bootmagic.
    *I am still trying to recover the unaccessible data from this partition (If anyone could help me with that too...)

I'd like not to have tho face the same problems anymore...

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

2. Skypoet

Skypoet Thread Starter

I forgot one detail: The file system I use everywhere is FAT32.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, you could install win2k as many times as you want.

I think a better idea is one installation and separate user accounts for each person. When you install an app, you can install for all accounts or whatever account you want. This would also take up much less disk space.

4. Skypoet

Skypoet Thread Starter

Thank you very much for your help crjdriver!

The reason why I want to make multiple installs for windows 2000 is that I, for example, happen to install/uninstall programs quite often depending on my needs. This tends to "harm" the OS after awhile. So if I perform the install/uninstalls in "my" partition/OS, this only "harms" my partition/OS... so that if the OS becomes unusable, it is only necessary to reinstall THIS one...

...well...

...THEORETICALLY (according to my own theory which may be wrong!!!)...

Do I have anything to gain from installing win2000 severall times as I do?

Thanks again if anyone else can answer!

SP

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I would make at most two installs; one for you to mess around with and the other for everyone else. If you do a lot of driver changes, mess with settings, ect, I would get some imaging software. Here is a link to Acronis true image I have Ghost, Drive Image and Acronis. By far my favorite is Acronis. With imaging software, you can restore your system in a matter of min.

IMO an image is better than having system restore. You can do a restore without the need for the os to even boot.

6. Skypoet

Skypoet Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies Crjdriver! I will consider using Acronis.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/272085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice