1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SanMax external hard drive alarming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cindirelly, Jun 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cindirelly

Cindirelly Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have an older (5 years?) external drive with I'm not sure how much backed up onto it - maybe it's 500 mb or 1 gig - that started alarming today and can't be recognized by my computer. It is the variety that comes in a case with an optional fan you can run and sits about 5"x7" on a stand. I noticed the fan (I think) was sounding noisy last time I used it a week or so ago, so I bought a new external drive to back it up onto. But today I plugged it in and turned it on, and all it will do is flash red from the power button and beep.

Please tell me it hasn't just straight failed. Is there some way for me to reset it long enough to pull the files off? If not, what is the prognosis for getting the data? This was an expensive backup system when I bought it, and it's mostly sat with very little regular use, so I am not prepared to lose these files.

I can hear the fan running when I turn it on, and I can hear the drive quietly running inside when I turn the fan off. If someone needs to go in to try to pull the files off, where would I find that kind of someone?

Any wisdom out there?
    Thank you!

2. replay

replay

you have the option of taking it apart and connecting the bare harddrive to a desktop computer to see if it will power up.... then retrieve files...etc

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1173146

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice