Sanyo MP3 player -> Big Problems!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Randomer1

I got a Sanyo HDP-M3000 mp3 player and when I connected the player to my Windows ME PC with the USB cable provided it was not recognised at all. No icon or "Removable Drive" symbol appeared in My Computer and the "connecting" symbol on the player screen disappeared after a few seconds.

I tested it on my brother's laptop which is Windows XP and it worked fine with the mp3 drive appearing, and the software being recognised.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong?

Maybe you have to load the drivers manually if you are running Windows ME-----Did it come with a disk.?

Randomer1

Sadly it didn't come with a disc and very few instructions. It basically just said to connect the player to the computer with the USB cable and the instructions and program should appear on the computer under a Removable Disc (or F:/ drive).

How would I go about loading drivers manually?

Thanks for replying!

I'm not that familiar with ME, but try this. Turn off the computer. Plug in the Sanyo to the USB port. Turn on the Sanyo then turn on the computer. See if Windows asks for a driver if so, insert the disk and allow Windows to install the driver. If that doesn't work we can try plan B.

Randomer1

I've tried that and no response from windows. Also, after looking at Device Manager in System Properties in Control Panel there is a yellow exclamation mark next to "Unknown Device". It has error code 28, which I looked up and it seems to be an uninstalled driver or something. Should I follow this up maybe?

I really appreciate your help!

MysticEyes

Banned
Most USB devices are recognized by XP, with 98 and ME you usually need drivers.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut before this line--------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online