1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sapphire 9550 turbo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by beanmaster1, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beanmaster1

beanmaster1 Thread Starter

Is this really manufactured, or is it overclocked? Some friends say it is original, some say it's being overclocked using overdrive. The control centre detects it as a 9600XT, but can't figure out if overdrive is active. So far the thing works fine, and quite impressively too (405MHz/450MHz or something close). Played nfsu2 and far cry for about 2 hours without any problems. So is this thing for real?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It looks like the card might have the wrong ID string in it. My HIS 9600XT gets reported as a 256MB card in the display settings but its only a 128MB version.

Here are the ATI specs for a 9550 and 9600XT:
    http://apps.ati.com/ATIcompare/
    Just choose the cards you want to compare.

Now here's the good part. The 9550 uses the same chip as the 9600 cards so theoretically it can go up the 9600XT speeds or beyond. This will vary on the cooling, voltages, and quality of the GPU and card - not all chips are created equal and some will never reach a higher speed. Also note that the memory is unlikely to clock to the levels of the 9600PRO/XT cards unless they used one of their 9600 PRO/XT cards to build this one and only under clocked it instead of developing a completely new card - and thats unlikely.

You might even want to look into this tool: http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/

3. beanmaster1

beanmaster1 Thread Starter

Yeah the memory is not overclocked, only the gpu. Memory is still at about 285 MHz. I also have an icute power supply at 450 watts and a nf7s mobo, so maybe that's why the card can run at higher speeds. What got me thinking was the sticker on the box, saying turbo 405/450 MHz, so I was thinking that maybe sapphire didn't actually make this card and the dealer was messing with it. Anyway, I don't think so cause if I'm right, you can't manually overclock a gpu.

Anyway, I don't think there should be any problem with it. Thanks again, dude, you've really help me ease my mind. Thanks again.

Cheers :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!