1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sapphire ATI 9600 xt problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gordon Freeman, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gordon Freeman

Gordon Freeman Thread Starter

First,sorry for my english,it's not my native.
    Last summer for the first time i had problems with my Sapphire ati 9600xt (256 mb).It worked just fine in desktop,browsing internet,or playing multimedia (everything 2d).Even in a 2d games.But,shortly after starting any 3d game,my computer would block,displaying many colorful lines all over the screen,and i would have to hardware reset it.After opening my case,i noticed a mother-board part,i would name it a "above agp slot-carbon-heat-collector" had fell of motherboard,was lying on graphics card.I had it re-attached and addittional fan installed just besides graphics,since i heard,browsing the internet (not knowing this forum),that those are the symptoms of gpu overheating.And everything worked fine 'till this summer and another heat wave.Now,"heat-collector" is in place,the fan is working,but the symptoms are,despite all that,there.I can't use any 3d app.(game).My screen first start flickering (as it did last summer,actually,as i recall),just like it's been set on a low refresh rate,and then it blocks with lines all over it.Sometimes after having it restarted,i get a kind of distorsion,on my monitor picture.I had my crt recently swapped with NEC accusync LCD71vm,and one could think those are the "dead pixels".Problem is -it happened last summer,too,on crt.
    Could it be my 9600xt have suffered a permanent,"un-cooleable" damage due too overheating (since it has been working without addittional fan for the short time at the begining of this summer),and is there a way to fix this problem ?
    Thank you in advance.

2. norton850

norton850

Yes the symptom could be an overheating or damaged video card. Don't know any way to really test it short of replacing it or trying it on another system. You could take the cover off your case and blow a house fan into the inside of the case. Probably hard to play Half Life I would imagine.

Welcome to TSG

3. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Wow,it must have been very hot for a chipset heatsink or fan to fall off the mobo. Sounds like a cooked vid card and or damanged mobo.

4. Gordon Freeman

Gordon Freeman Thread Starter

@It's not really cooked,mobo or video card.Heat sink just lost some,quite week contacts with mboard and fell on it.I put it back,and there are no problems with mboard.But the card is probably cooked for good,now... thnks

@norton850 Thank you for welcome.
    I will probably have to test it on some other machine.
    "Episode one" is the biggest reason i'm trying to fix the damn thing again...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!