1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sapphire (ATI) Radeon 7000 PCI 64Mb w/TVO

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by XL Guru, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. XL Guru

XL Guru Thread Starter

Apols in advance for however much of this is painfully dense, hardware is not my area.

I've upgraded to this card as the onboard graphics couldn't cut it for one of the kid's games.

I'm now interested in the possibility of watching DVDs thru the TV. I found the manual for the card at

http://ati.com/support/manualpdf/ra...PHICS&prod=PCproducts&submit.x=11&submit.y=11

(the manual on the install disk was the wrong version).

Part of it states "when you enable TV display in Europe, the refresh rate for the monitor and TV is set to 50Hz. Some monitors may not support this refresh rate and could be damaged".

I've already established that my monitor won't handle 50Hz, so I'd have to "turn off the monitor before turning on the PC when using the TV as a display".

Since installing the software, my Display Properties -- Settings -- Advanced has loads of new options, however I can't even seem to get started on enabling TV connection (see pic).

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Rgds,
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you have the TV connected at this stage? This generally occurs if the TV is not connected or the signal from it is not detected - check your cables.

3. XL Guru

XL Guru Thread Starter

>> Do you have the TV connected at this stage?

Err, no. OK, you can stop laughing. The thing is enabling TV display will set the monitor *and* TV refresh rate to 50Hz. The monitor won't like it. So I need to enable TV display with TV only plugged in -- but how can I if it's not been set up first?

Am I making any sense?

Thanks for the comment BTW,
    Andy

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    On my Geforce card I can have different resolutions and refresh rates for my two outputs. Also once enabled, just turn off the monitor - it won't get damaged that quickly.

5. XL Guru

XL Guru Thread Starter

OK, I'll speak to the electrical shop ppl.

Thanks,
    Andy

6. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Under Schemes, enable Switch Among Displays. Click on icon on TV.

7. XL Guru

XL Guru Thread Starter

Thanks StillLearnin'.

The manual has a different graphic to represent unconnected devices (see pic) than how it appears on my m/c (cable xed thru, see original pic).

I think it'll be the case that any options such as "Schemes, enable Switch Among Displays" will only become available when I physically connect the TV (if at all), as suggested by Triple6.

I just didn't want to run the risk of blowing one or more screens.

Best rgds,
    Andy

Attached Files:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice