sapsucker

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

sapsucker

I have A Dell Demension 8200 pentium 4 1.89 mhz computer with Windows XP Home edition with service pack 2. When I attempt to run Chkdsk I get a message that says that if I dont touch a key for a number of secounds chkdsk will begin. When ChkDsk begins to start it suddenly flashes a error message across the screen really fast then attempts to restart. The message that is flashed is unreadable due to me not being able to read at the speed of light andI dont know what is says. How can I get checkdsk to start normally and run properly. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

sapsucker said:
The message that is flashed is unreadable due to me not being able to read at the speed of light .
:eek: I hate when that happens.... :eek:

Have you tried scandisk?

Scandisk is a Microsoft utility that was purchased originally from Norton which is now Symantec. Scandisk is designed to check the integrity of a computer hard disk drive to verify that there are now significant issues which could cause issues with your computer data.

WINDOWS 2000 / XP SCANDISK

Keep in mind that if Windows 2000 and XP is a networking operating system and it's possible that the privileges to run scandisk may have revoked by the system administrator. To run Scandisk we recommend you follow the recommend steps.

Double click My Computer
Highlight a local hard disk drive by clicking on it once.
Right click the highlighted local drive
Click properties
Click the tools tab and click check now to check the drive for errors.
The computer will need to restart in order to run scandisk in a safe mode

sapsucker

I have done this and it starts to run and after 10 secounds or so, the san starts to get started then just reverts back to the secound count before schdsk stats up again you then have to hit a key during the stated sconds to get out of the mode other wise it justs keeps trying to restart again and again and again and again

ok Now I'll ask why your running scandisk? Is there a problem that prompted you into checking disk for errors?

sapsucker

I am running chkdsk due to this computer was given to me and I wanted to make sure all items were working correctly.

I found this while searhing for chkdsk click here

Every time Windows restarts, Autochk.exe is called by the Kernel to scan all volumes to check if the volume dirty bit is set. If the dirty bit is set, autochk performs an immediate chkdsk /f on that volume. CHKDSK /f verifies file system integrity and attempts to fix any problems with the volume. It is always advisable to run chkdsk on volumes that have been improperly shutdown, however, there may be some situations in which running chkdsk after every improper shutdown is not possible or practical. In some cases, chkdsk may take several hours or even days to completely check the volume or may hang while checking the volume. In these situations, it is more practical to postpone the chkdsk until a more convenient time.

Chkntfs is a utility that enables a system administrator to exclude volumes from being checked by the autochk program.
:confused:
I'm thinking you might need to clear the registry settings, and then try scandisk again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online