1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sata 3.0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DCM1519, Jul 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

I wanted to put 2- Hitachi Deskstar 160 gig hard drives in the computer I just built. One was DOA ad the other one failed yesterday.

The DOA drive replacement is not back from being returned under warranty but now, I have no confidence in Hitachi drives. Maybe these are relabeled IBM Deskstar drives and quality will improve in the future but I would not buy another right now.

Newegg has a Western Digital drive on sale but it says that it is SATA 3.0. I don't know anything about SATA but was wondering if it would be compatible with my system. The connectors on my motherboard (Intel D975XBS) have an "L" shaped opening in them.

I searched the net and read an article from HP about SATA 3.0 and it sounds like they are backward compatible but I am not sure because it was not a very positive statement.

Is SATA 3.0 backwards compatible in case my motherboard will not support it?

Thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    SATA 3.0 is backward compatible, there's only a few situations where there's been issues and those may have been due to user error.

That said the Intel 975 chipset has SATA 3.0 controllers, its the Silicon Image SATA controller only thats the first generation SATA.

3. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

Triple6

Thanks for responding. I will order one because I think it is a one day sale with free postage and a rebate offer too.

4. DCM1519

DCM1519 Thread Starter

Triple6

Thanks for the response.

I just ordered one of the WD SATA 3.0 250 gig Drives that is on sale day only at Newegg.om. It has a $10 rebate and free shipping.

The Hitachi drive restored OK today but I cannot count on it lasting so made a couple of Ghost images and just hope it will last until the WD drive arrives.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485646

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice