1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA 3G and SATA 1.5G fallback

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaveDoesIT, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaveDoesIT

DaveDoesIT Thread Starter

Hi All,

I want to put in a bigger drive into the Acer laptop so I checked the egg and they have WD 250G for 48 including shipping. Just to be on the safe side I emailed WD tech support and asked if the WD2500BEVT (SATA 3G) would drop back to SATA 1.5G for the laptop.

This is what came back and I am inclined to not believe it as I got the two model numbers he quotes in the first line from the Newegg site and the first is SATA II and the second SATA I...
    ********************* WD *******************************************
    Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support. My name is Tahimi

I apologize for the inconvenience, unfortunately the WD2500BEVT or the WD2500BEVSRTL are not able to perform 1.5 Gb speed. You will need to look for a SATA 1 hard drive like the WD2500BEAS.

I hope that we have met your expectations today and that you are satisfied with our service. If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
    Tahimi
    Western Digital Service and Support
    ********************* WD *******************************************

Anyone care to comment on this? I always believed that a SATA II drive would also handle SATA I.

Thanks

Dave

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Generally they drop down, not sure why those would not. I have used WDC SATA 3G drives in older desktops and laptops without issue. The only issues I've ever had were with VIA SATA controllers, never had a SATA 3G drive work on a VIA controller without being limited to 1.5G mode. These drives do not seem to have the jumper to limit their mode from taking a quick look the the WD site, so maybe they can't drop down.

What laptop is it?

3. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Its a gamble on your part, WD has informed you it does not support 1.5.

Most of their desktop drives have a jumper that needs to be set to use it in 1.5 mode, unfortunately their laptop drives do Not have this feature.

4. DaveDoesIT

DaveDoesIT Thread Starter

Thanks Triple and Mumbo, I will take them at their word I guess. Although it would only be a minor gamble as I am sure I can use another 250G drive here somewhere. :)

However if the desktop ones require a jumper and 2.5" don't have them, I will go with the 1.5G for the Acer Aspire. Bummer as it is almost 20 bucks more with shipping.

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice