1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SATA and ATA dual drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyris, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cyris

Cyris Thread Starter

Im looking into getting a new computer (well heck, ive been looking into it for months now :rolleyes: ) and theres one question thats still bothering me

Is it at all possible to set up a new SATA hard drive with my new computer, and still use my old ATA drive with it?

Ive had this hd for so long, Ive grown quite accustomed to it, and Im really not looking forward to reinstalling and configuring every aspect of a new hard drive. If I could work off of both, that would be perfect.
    I looked into ghosting, but from what I understand thats not possible between the two different types, correct?
    If you've got any information on the matter, it would be appreciated, thanks

2. Cyris

Cyris Thread Starter

Im looking into getting a new computer very soon, so I'd like to find out.

3. metweek

metweek

You can use PATA with a computer that has SATA drives provided that the computer has the connectors. You might also use an add-in card (either PCI-E or PCI) in the case that the computer didn't have PATA. Most computers sold today have at least one PATA connector that will support up to 2 drives (mostly because SATA optical drives are rare).

4. metweek

metweek

I also see no reason why you can't Ghost a SATA drive to PATA. Just be sure the disk cloning software supports SATA. Most recent releases do.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Just remember with a new motherboard, you will have to do a new install of Windows...you can't move forward with a hard drive with an old XP install on it, the hardware is too different.

6. Cyris

Cyris Thread Starter

So once I install windows on the new hard drive, I can just pop my older hard drive in and start transferring stuff over? That easy?

And once I do have both drives up, am I free to remove windows and any system files from the old one? Or is that stuff still required to read files, and run programs on the drive?

Im actually kind of shocked.. I was told by a computer shop that dual (different) drives, and ghosting between the 2 different types of drives was impossible =/

7. Hughv

Hughv

Once you install the OS on the SATA drive, and the old drive is installed, you can certainly transfer your data, but you'll have to re-install the programs.
    If you want to try and save the old programs:
    I've had luck with new boards and old HDs by using the second repair option in XP. Skip the first repair option and the second should find and install the new motherboard drivers with no problem.
    At that point you could image or transfer the old drive to the new one, set the OS to boot from the SATA drive and re-boot.
    Once you've got the SATA drive working you don't need any of the system files on the old one.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

There is little difference to how the drives operate from a user standpoint although you need to be certain that the ide drive is setup jumpered as a slave and the bios calls for sata drive to boot, so the pc doesn't get all confused and stall. So install Windows and then the programs you need to read the files you have on the other drive. Then install old drive and as soon as you transfer files you need you can format it or keep the files and data where it is and simply delete the Windows & Docs and Settings folders.

9. metweek

metweek

What difference does jumping the IDE as a Slave make in the case? This only makes sense if are connecting to a cable that already has an optical drive or such attached. The statement BIOS the bios boot drive setting is right on though.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Wrong. On many boards even with the ability to choose sata or ide to boot from, no matter what you do if the ide drive is a master, often times the bios will revert to default ide booting. That cannot happen if the ide hard drive is set to slave.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice