SATA and ATA problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hellfox

Im having a problem with hooking up an ATA hard drive using a ATA to SATA converter. (My mobo only has 1 ATA slot, so I need to use the SATA slots to hook up my old hard drive). Is there anything i need to do besides hooking it up? It just hangs at the Auto-detect part during the boot up process.

I've come to think the converter is the problem, but I wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks in advance

Rukee

Banned
most converters have a power connector, mine use a floppy power wire, make sure that`s connected if it needs it. The hard drive needs a power connector plugged in too, then you may have to enable the SATA channel in the BIOS.

Hellfox

Got the power for both, and the option in BIOS is set to support both S-ATA and P-ATA.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Are you (or your BIOS) trying to boot from the converted ATA ?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I use one of these converters. Make sure the drive is jumpered as Master and not Cable Select. That's about all that usually can go wrong.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online