1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sata and Dual Boot questions

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Scorpion, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Scorpion

Scorpion Thread Starter

Hey all,

Ok, a friend has XP Pro now on an ide drive, and wants to install XP 64bit on a Sata.

So, he will disconnect the ide drive, and install XP64, along with the sata drivers etc. Ok, now he has a 64bit system. Now he wants to put back the original ide drive, and dual boot these O/S's, as 64bit does not yet do all he wants for his business.

So, is the above possible, and would something like GAG work ok as a boot loader with the sata and 64bit system?

Thanks for any input.

Scorp.

2. Scorpion

Scorpion Thread Starter

Bump! :D

3. Dan O

Dan O

4. Scorpion

Scorpion Thread Starter

Hmmm...thanks Dan O. Seems that the newer system will overwrite the older boot.ini, which is fine. Now the question becomes one of sata drivers, and if it will work with the 64bit install etc. I doubt he'd be able to access the 64bit drive, because if the 64bit O/S isn't loaded, then the sata drivers wont be loaded.....is that right, or do the sata drivers get loaded somewhere else? I know nothing about sata, which is why I ask these seemingly dumb questions (and I may want to do this myself too in a couple of months...lol)

Thanks,

Scorp.

5. Scorpion

Scorpion Thread Starter

6. Dan O

Dan O

The PC's BIOS should take care of the I/O of the SATA and IDE devices, so it is not really a Windows issue. I have not worked with the 64 bit version of Windows, but I suspect that the system boot partition which is a hidden partition is using 32 bit regardless if Windows is 32 or 64 bit. So I would not worry, but maybe some else has other advise.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have dual booted win2k and xp64bit. You CAN install GAG, however it is not needed. XP will setup a boot-loader for you. As to being able to access the sata drive from the os on the ide drive, you can do that as long as the sata controller driver is loaded in that os. To make sure, go to device manager and see if the sata controller is functional in that os. If it is, then you would have access to files on xp64bit.

Note if you disconnect the ide drive during the install process, you will NOT get the dual boot menu. In that case you would need something like GAG.

8. Scorpion

Scorpion Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

crjdriver....or anyone else who knows...does xp64 do the boot-loader thing automatically, or does it need some input from the user to set it up?

Thanks,

Scorp

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As long as the drive with the current os is connected, it will install the dual boot menu.

10. Scorpion

Scorpion Thread Starter

Thanks crjdriver, and everyone else, much appreciated. I'll keep you informed to the progress as soon as he does the install.

Scorp.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I tried the 64bit version of xp and ended up going back to a single boot of win2k. There may be better driver support now as opposed to a few months ago when I tried using the 64bit version.

Again it might just be me because I really do not like xp anyway [prefer win2k] and the 64bit version would not work with my video capture card, 64bit IE would not work with my company website, etc.

12. Scorpion

Scorpion Thread Starter

Yeah, this is thr problem my friend has. He's got a 64bit machine, and wants to utilise it, but of course for now he needs the 32bit to run his company stuff on. However, he wants to eventually switch over.

Scorp.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!