1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sata drive ISSUES... Have i lost my data??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt.choules, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matt.choules

matt.choules Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Working through some PC issues and think i may have done a silly thing.

I installed windows onto an IDE drive and booted but also attached 2 SATA drives (one Western Digital 160gb - a blank new disk, one Maxtor 300gb - with my music and video & work on).
    When booting both of the drives showed up, when i got into windows i think only one was visible. The WD drive.
    I decided to format the drive, but after a few seconds i realised that maybe the drives were working in RAID and that i'd be formatting BOTH drives. I want the info on the Maxtor drive saved so i cancelled the format.

I restarted with just the IDE and WD drive attached and the SATA drive works fine.
    So I restarted with just the IDE and Maxtor drive attached and although it shows in the boot, it does not appear in Windows...

Could i have lost my information?? I thought that RAID drives worked in paralel, so wouldn't BOTH drives be not working (e.g. be formatted at the same time), or does windows format one at a time??

Help!

2. Leec65

Leec65

what OS are you using
    what mobo is it
    what drive did you have in this computer before
    what computer did you have the Maxter in before

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like the issue was before you did what you did. Does the bios show the Maxtor drive? Can you right click My Computer, chhose "Manage" and then Disk Management and see it there, and if so how is it described?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice