sata drive not recognised

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gbrough

I have a slight problem, have have an old tiny pc that still works great. it has the following:
first international computer inc. P4M-800M motherboard
Pentium 4 - 2.99Ghz CPU
Phoenix technologies LTD 6.00PG bios
i would like to simply change the existing IDE hard drive for a SATA
i have a 1GB SATA hard drive that i have used in a caddy for backup so i know it works.
the problem is when i try to plug it into the motherboard, when i turn the pc back on it freezes on the first screen, not even allowing me to enter bios (which i have already checked and it says IDE SATA). there are two SATA ports on the motherboard marked SATA 1 and SATA 2, have tried both - same result. have unplugged the IDE (natrally) still with same result. don't really want to upgrade if i can help it. can anyone help?

dlipman

David
Reference:
http://www.fic.com.tw/download/P4M-800M.aspx

According to the information, it uses Award BIOS v1.5

1GB or is that a 1TB drive ?
What is the Make and Model of the hard disk ?

It looks like the system was designed for Win9x/ME and Windows 2000 and subsequently supported Windows XP.

It is very possible that the BIOS can not handle the SATA drive geometry.

Last edited:

dlipman

David
The idea of a 1TB ( 1,000 GB ) hard disk was unheard of 15 years ago when SATA I was released

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online